20 Comments     Tuesday, March 10th, 2009

A Woman Scorned

Condemned covergirl Chanta Patton blasts her Hollywood issue feature. Now that’s back with a vengeance!

That old saying about “the eye of the beholder” has never been truer. In Chanta Patton—our September 2008 covergirl—KING saw a voluptuous, physically flawless beauty with the perfect golden globes to rep our first-ever Screen Queen Awards. Y’all saw a no-named, surgically enhanced Ashanti wanna-be. Agree to disagree.

Still, we’re all about serving justice around these parts. So in honor of our instantly classic 50th issue, we gave the star of your least favorite 2008 KING cover a moment to address the naysayers (yes, you!), and even tear us a new one (ouch!). With a beachside snapshot steamy enough to burn the visual of her KING debut from disgruntled readers’ memories, were sure y’all won’t mind another take.

You caught a lot of hate when we posted the image of our September 2008 cover—featuring you—on KING-Mag.com. What was your opinion of the photos?
    I was definitely shocked, because the person on the cover didn’t look anything like me. The shot was extremely over-Photoshopped, and they didn’t pick the picture that was the most flattering at all. It was bad photography. And that’s no fault of mine; that’s all the fault of KING. My shots from my own portfolio are self-explanatory. They definitely show that [I’m] a bad chick and deserving of a cover.

You actually did get a fake KING cover in your breakthrough video, Kardinal Offishall’s “Dangerous.” Which do you prefer?
    The one in the video was much better. That one was naturally me. You could see my skin tone, my shape of my eyes. Everything was the same as in real life. People who see me from the magazine KING would never know that’s me on the cover—which is a good thing!

Did you read any of the comments on the web about your shoot?
    I never read anything that anybody writes about me. I heard it was bad things, but I have a really good support system, and my friends would never let me get on the [KING] website. I had no desire to, because I want to stay on my grind and reading stuff like that only just gets you into the wrong state of mind. So just keep it moving. I don’t get mad.

On KING-Mag.com, commenter Redz complained that your body wasn’t authentic.
    Pretty much, what they think of me is none of my business. Tell me one model that’s walking around with their real, flabby boobs or small titties—if they are, good for them. But I’m not about to walk around with a nappy head, no perm, flat-chested and looking crazy just to say “I’m all-natural.” [Laughs] I’ma do what makes Chanta happy—that’s looking my best, making money from my looks, and getting what I want. As long as I’m staying hungry, I’m good.

BlkCeasar called you a “broke-down Ashanti.” Have you ever heard that comparison before?
    Yeah. I don’t see it. I’m much lighter than she is, and my facial features seem to be a little bit different. I guess if you do my makeup a certain way, we sort of look alike. I don’t think Ashanti’s not attractive, I just don’t think we look alike. I’ve heard that even before this cover dropped. People will talk regardless. Anybody who knows what I look like knows I’m a gorgeous woman, inside and out. So I don’t let those comments affect me.

Keep it 100—you never want to spazz out on the critics?
    No! People don’t know who I am. They don’t know I [was] an applied mathematics major on the dean’s list for four years, graduate of college. And how I tutor children K-8 in math, in the inner city of Los Angeles. They don’t know anything about me, so I keep in mind that this is not the end. Modeling is not ultimately what I want to do; I want to use this as a stepping-stone for acting.

Are you taking acting classes?
    I’ve been taking classes for almost six months now. I’ve been doing a plays and I’m auditioning three to five times a week for print, commercials or actual acting parts or small roles in movies. And I’m working big film production directors that are interested in seeing more of me.

What about the KING stans looking to see more of you. Would you ever come back for another cover, as an actress?
    Yeah, because I don’t think KING meant to sabotage me. It was definitely a learning experience. It humbled me, kept me hungry. If later on in life I blow up in a movie, I would want to come back. I’m not bitter at all.—John Kennedy
    —————————————————————-
    Photography by Paul Cobo

See Also:

Behind the scenes of Chanta Patton’s cover shoot

Golden Globes

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 10th, 2009 at 11:30 am and is filed under Features, Girls. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

20 Responses to “A Woman Scorned”

03.10.09 at 12:16 pm

556Geek-T-Bone says:
    Geek brain and gorgeous body what a blessed combination. Congrats on your cover shoot, congrats and keep up the god works tutoring youths when time permitts. I once tutored at PS 126, 6th grade math on Governor’s Island, NY,NY “many moons ago” (smile). I’m hoping to continue my studies with a Master’s pursuit at
    a HBCU in the fall(2009) or spring(2010) in Computer Science in Maryland. Perhaps we might collaborate on a future creativity driven project that’s got a “black geeks” benefits message for our youths of tomorrow. Rap = “Rhetoric” but he or she whoms accesses a greater achievements with “Right Hemisphere” in the lead and “Left Hemisphere” as the follower, will receive a place in the “universal knowledge” club and recognition that transcends time.When finances improves, I plan to embark on
    a journey that will rival the late Alex Haley’s
    literary efforts. Bless his soul as he rests.

03.10.09 at 1:41 pm

Hoelghuus ZhilDrohar says:
    Chicks kill me with that shit. “Oh, I got a degree from Howard in Theoretical Physics, but I take half-naked pictures to make money, and I want to be an actress.”

03.10.09 at 1:45 pm

JFK says:
    LMAO! Tell ‘em, H!

03.10.09 at 2:42 pm

David T. Williams says:
    Well said Chanta, Good job with the confidence in inner city youths, and the challenges associated with that. Keep doing what you do best….David

03.10.09 at 4:17 pm

Superstar Extraordinaire says:
    cosign Hoelghuus ZhilDrohar: that shit cracks me up to homie

03.10.09 at 4:51 pm

Chad((((the real Chad)))) says:
    Chanta is a cutie!

03.10.09 at 5:31 pm

Qiana M says:
    That is a dumb comment. Because you have a degree you can’t model and act if that’s what you want to do with your career??? Just cuz you get a degree in one thing don’t mean you can’t do another. More than half of people that graduate from college/universities don’t take a job in their field. I’m sorry hun but you do look like Ashanti and not all models walk around with fake titties. I have real 32D’s That is too bad they got you looking like a brokedown Ashanti. You are pretty. Best of luck to you

03.10.09 at 5:38 pm

geek'D says:
    DAPHNE JOY
    DAPHNE JOY
    DAPHNE JOY
    DAPHNE JOY
    DAPHNE JOY
    DAPHNE JOY
    DAPHNE JOY
    DAPHNE JOY
    DAPHNE JOY

03.10.09 at 6:20 pm

WhoMe? says:
    She’s a beautiful woman, but that was a bad cover for her and KING. I can’t say it was a bad idea, but it was poorly executed. I’d like to see her again though…just straight glamour shots.

03.10.09 at 8:31 pm

killa says:
    i think we need to boycott fake chicks. that is chicks with fake anything;hair, eyes, boobs, asses whatever. shouldnt be a model of any type if its not natural. just my opinion

03.10.09 at 11:33 pm

Warrant says:
    she better looking than yall showed on the coverr!!

03.11.09 at 2:23 am

Mar says:
    Saying a woman can’t take advantage of her looks to make money and be educated at the same time is like saying every athlete in sports can’t do shit but run, catch/ kick/ throw a ball… Basically if you have a degree in something, it may have been the choice you made to make your paper, INITIALLY but then you found out, shit I can make more money doing this cause dumb niggas that talk shit about me doing it buy the magazine I’m in… Well, shit… you do the math it’s quicker, more glamorous, and fun. get ya paper on!

03.11.09 at 2:26 am

Mar says:
    killa, who the fuck do you think wants to stare at blank pages in a magazine? There isn’t one woman in the industry who isnt fake in some way physically! Hell, most average women on the street got something fake. Go on with that shit…

03.11.09 at 6:22 pm

MDiva says:
    Thank you, Chanta! You are a gorgeous woman and that cover was shitty. I couldn’t believe it when I saw it. And thank you for speaking the truth to all these people out here whining about fake this and fake that. Being a model means looking good and every last one does something to achieve that. If you wanna see regular, “all natural” women, go to Wal Mart, fellas. LOL!!

03.12.09 at 1:37 am

o wow says:
    i love her

03.12.09 at 3:44 am

leonie says:
    Fakery V natural. Whatever, as a female you have to have a little fake in you now and again, be it lipstick or heels you will not get the attension you deserve without some extras. Yeah my 34DD’s are real but my height is noooooo way near 5’6 in flats,do you and do you better. Go ahead Chanta.

03.12.09 at 12:31 pm

556Geek-T-Bone says:
    Response: Mar keep your forward looking mindset. Too many of us operate with rear view mirrors or penile mentality that when “the promised land “(Rev. Dr. MLK, Jr.)option comes in the next few years(2013 or 2014 at latest), we shall and we will be disappointed. Primary leaders in “the universe” (beyond Earth) operate
    with brain processors or paralleled cognitive thinking abilities with “beliefs systems” as perpetual followers. For naysayers: Open your own time portal to the future or you can use my
    psi bridge for (10 – 20 years) view into the future. Let’s not player hate on brothers or sisters or others whom made sacrifices to receive their “pieces of paper” (Diplomas, Degrees, Certificates, etc.)Education is always
    and forever an asset though treated as a
    liability at various times under various circumstances within our community of brothers and sisters and maybe by some others. Later!!!!!

12.5.11 at 4:17 pm

dysfonction erectile says:
    My spouse and I stumbled over here different website and thought I should check things out.

12.7.11 at 1:04 am

impuissance traitement naturel says:
    I’ll complain that you have copied material from another source

06.18.12 at 8:44 am

quantity says:
    I expect I’ll be coming back again soon

Comments