17 Comments     Wednesday, March 25th, 2009

How to Protect Yourself…

…from a broken heart

I use to think when I was in my teens that Slick Rick summed up the definition of a relationship in his song “A Teenage Love” (I know I’m taking y’all way back lol). It’s very rare I talk about relationships over the past few days I’ve had conversations with people that has started me to think about certain situations, including my own. There really isn’t a guide to follow when it comes to being in a relationship. You can read every book about relationships, but it still won’t pertain to the one you’re in. I think the one thing we all can agree on is that we’ve been in good relationships and bad relationships. Most of us have been hurt, me personally, I’ve been devastated. That is a feeling I wouldn’t wish on anyone, nor do I want to feel again. So, how do you protect yourself? You definitely don’t want to put a wall up, but you also don’t want to let your guard down. It’s very hard to let someone into your personal space once you’ve been hurt. You can’t let yourself walk around carrying this extra burden, it’s not fair to you or to the next person you decide to let in your life. If you enjoy being with someone, be with them and enjoy it, life is too short, not to.

When you feel complications and drama coming up that you don’t want to deal with, you have a choice to move on. I use stay in relationships, just because I didn’t want it to seem like I failed at something, but in actuality the best thing I could have done is walked away. If you truly care about someone, let them know, if I’m into a person they will definitely know, if I’m not they will know that too. It’s no need to play games or beat around the bush or play with people’s emotions, it’s not worth it. Also, never assume, assumptions are the termites of a relationship. The ever so popular telephone game “He Said, She Said”, people stop it! Go straight to the source if you have a question, not their homie or girlfriend. It may be cliché’ but trust is a main component of a relationship, if you don’t trust the person, why waste your time or theirs. Never compare your relationship or situation to someone else’s, the definitions are never the same. Another thing I learned is not to smother the person I’m with, no one can grow in the shade. If you start to feel something just isn’t right, to quote Slick Rick “You better take hints quick and make the right change”.

“To know when to go away and when to come closer is the key to any lasting relationship.” ~Doménico Cieri Estrada

———————————————————————————–
    BTW-Did you all know that Lil Kim was in the video for “A Teenage Love” by Slick Rick?

I’m a twitter now LOL! Step into my Locker Room: twitter.com/Lizzs_Lockeroom

This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 25th, 2009 at 12:33 pm and is filed under Columnists, Robbins Nest. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

17 Responses to “How to Protect Yourself…”

03.25.09 at 1:44 pm

Rich Tyler says:
    Well spoken sista.

03.25.09 at 3:50 pm

Angles says:
    Broken hearts also comes from when two people are together for differant reasons. When two people are equally in love is my definition of true love. People that have any reason out side of love like,da sex is good,they are good looking or da have money. Thats why in my eyes the divorce rates are so high because its easy to get married but very hard to find true love.

03.25.09 at 6:35 pm

The Leon List, 3-25-09 | Yeah...I said it says:
    [...] Lizz Robbins is giving advice on how to protect yourself from being hurt in relationships. You need me to put anyone in a sleeper hold, Liz? Just let me know… [...]

03.27.09 at 10:05 pm

Richard M. Dastard says:
    Heart? Lizz… Fuck wit me, I’d break that cervix, dislocate your uterus… I ain’t new to this… holla at me, and I’ll decorate your face like a birthday cake… make a wish, chick! You sexy mu’fukka!

03.27.09 at 10:28 pm

MB says:
    From my understanding Models don’t get hurt AKA LIZZ (New England Journal of Medicine)! SMILE

03.28.09 at 12:26 pm

Anonymous says:
    Interesting topic but your writing sucks.

03.29.09 at 8:41 am

David T. Williams says:
    Lizz, First things first, now that 2008 is over with, what do I do with my Remy Martin Calender. Actually, I have 2(Two), 1(ONE) in the kitchen, you know, (“Ribeyes, Rice and Gravy, and all that kind of stuff.”) Also, there’s 1(One) in my bedroom……WOMAN! I’ll answer your question, (@ http://www.twitter.com/dvidone,) I’ll lead if you follow…David……How do you protect yourself……?

03.30.09 at 1:34 pm

Gitty Dough says:
    Good thoughts..I think love never ends…So if a person is in a relationship that ends…its just isnt true love…my definition is Hearts attached forever…so i bad relationship is just a road bump…Hope over that bad emmotion and keep trucking…like you said put your guard up but dont block everything
    I also think it takes at least a year to know a person’s true personality..on the average http://www.twitter.com/gittydough

04.5.09 at 11:47 am

bi boy says:
    broken heart? more like broken fart. that’s what you’ll have after i bang your hot butt lizz

01.12.10 at 10:29 pm

Dixon says:
    The title is a eye catcher and everything you have written is common sense, too bad it is forgotten throughout most relationships.

04.12.10 at 4:55 pm

» I’m Back - KING-mag.com says:
    [...] …and I’m not going anywhere! Unlike Michael Jordan, I couldn’t fax in my blogging return. KING’s new E.I.C., Sean A. Malcolm made me e-mail it…Go figure. I, for one, am happy that “The Illest Men’s Magazine” is back. It wasn’t really a “good-bye” it was more like a year-long “see you later.” The last time I was here, I was trying to my best to “protect” you from a broken heart. I never give anyone advice I wouldn’t use on myself because, as we all know, most advice is judged by results not intentions. [...]

04.18.10 at 1:03 pm

shimbo says:
    yup good one

05.12.10 at 7:27 am

monery P. says:
    2ru wit dat,u putted it in a way no ada shrink could,simple but gets the point across.

11.5.10 at 2:42 am

sky says:
    ***SUGAR MOMMA DATE.C’OM*** ====A nice place for seeking unique love Which gives you a chance to make your -life better and open opportunities for you to meet the attractive singles and treat you like a king or Q-ueen. Maybe you wanna check it out or tell your friends!!!

11.5.10 at 2:52 am

sky says:
    oh amazing , i love this !
    I am a lawyer 28 years old, mature and beautiful, and single at present..And now I am seeking a young man who can really love me back …it is the first and best club for Cougars and Young Men.
    So i uploaded my sexy photos there under the n’ame of Myshine.. on ~~~~ Sugarmommadate.******C’om********
    Please Check it out!I’m serious.~~

04.23.11 at 4:34 pm

mando says:
    dont give too much of yo self to a point that u even forget abt u,and care abt people wo cares abt u,and start loving yoself b 4 giving that love to another person.

12.9.11 at 12:13 am

Free Hosting says:
    Free Hosting… [...]» How to Protect Yourself… – KING-mag.com[...]…

Comments