16 Comments     Wednesday, September 13th, 2006

The King-Mag.com Q&A

Comedian Katt Williams keeps it pimpin’ all the way to the bank

Ever since his debut role as a pimp named Money Mike in Friday After Next, comedian Katt Williams has been smacking the competition silly. On September 16, HBO is airing his one-hour stand up special, The Pimp Chronicles Pt. 1, along with an upcoming guest appearance on the return of Russell Simmons’ Def Comedy Jam. There’s also movie roles (the upcoming Norbit with Eddie Murphy), a hip-hop album on Diplomat Records and his re-occurring role on MTV’s Nick Cannon Presents Wild N’ Out. But Katt’s most important job is being a father to eight kids, seven of them adopted. Taking a break from his current tour, Katt chats with King-Mag.com while backstage. No one said pimpin’ was easy.

KING-MAG.com: So you’re on tour right now?

Katt Williams: I’m 106-cities into my tour right now. We just signed a 4.6 million dollar deal with Live Nation to do another hundred [cities].

Damn, that’s a lot of cities. Has there ever been a tour stop where your game wasn’t tight?

It was Detroit’s Fox Theater. We sell out the Fox. It’s two shows. I’m not used to doing two shows a night. I’m only used to doing one show. We do the first show and the show is bananas. Back stage after the show, , somebody hands me a blunt, which I never do when I’m working. [Then] it’s time to get ready for the second show. I’m too high. I go out there and fuck off my whole set. I’m telling like the second half of jokes. doing the end of the joke first. It’s all out of sequence. I’m like 20 minutes in, and I tell the audience, okay, well, I think I’ve been up here too long. And walk off stage.

Now we heard you come from a family of Black Panthers, is that true?

Yeah, my father was.

Dope!

Its not really dope.

It seemed to work for ‘Pac, why not you?

It affected [my father’s] life. I guess its dope now, to say, yeah your father was a Black Panther. But even that whole bio thing that everybody reads from, I’ve been really trying to get that nixed cause its got too much of my personal information on it that doesn’t matter. Like, I left home as a teenager.

Speaking of fathers, you’ve got some babies don’t you?

Yeah, I’ve got eight.

What did they do for your birthday? [Ed Note: Katt recently celebrated his birthday on September 2]

They know I like strawberry shortcake. So their whole thing was to make me strawberry shortcake for my birthday. You’ve got eight kids trying to make the same cake, fortunately it’s strawberry shortcake. They didn’t really even have to cook. They just cut the cake in half and laid it in. Then you see where they got tired and just start throwing the whole strawberry in with the green part left on it. Somebody had accidentally took a bite out of one and threw it in there.

Tell me about the HBO special The Pimp Chronicles Part 1.

For a comic there’s nothing bigger for you, not stand up wise. The one-hour special is [stand-up comedy’s] Holy Grail. There have only been 10 black comics in history to have a HBO one hour special, so to be added to that list is amazing.

An accomplishment indeed, but let’s talk about your album. I know you and the Game teamed up against the Young Gunz to clap back for a diss track they made about you. Are you going to have any heat on the album like that?

I only have one diss song and it’s aimed at comedians. To be honest with you, the Young Gunz thing, it really just hurt my feelings, because I had actually just bought the dudes album. I just went in [the studio] and freestyled it. Then I saw the Game a couple days later and he asked me what I’d done in the studio. I told him. Come to find out his sentiments echoed mine.

Listen to the diss track here

Wild ‘N Out is in its third season. What guest did you have the most fun with?

Charley Murphy was crazy. Like ending all his raps like, “I’ll take your leg off and stab you in the chest with it.” Everybody is looking at Charley, because Charley ain’t smiling. Wayne Brady was crazy. [Off air] Wayne Brady picked everybody on our team one by one and I promise you he did a minimum of ten minutes on every person.

Let me find out Wayne Brady can go 100 bars. From where did you pick up your game? Anyone put you on

I learned a lot about Hollywood working at the carnival. Shit is not what you think it is. I would watch these 18-wheelers come in with the stuffed animals, and find out they was paying one thousand dollars for a whole 18-wheeler full of stuffed animals. People spent twenty, forty, fifty, dollars to get this one stuffed animal that cost all of twelve cents. As a kid, it really sobered me up to the fact that sometimes things are really a game.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 13th, 2006 at 1:09 pm and is filed under Features. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

16 Responses to “The King-Mag.com Q&A”

09.13.06 at 2:36 pm

EVELYN DANIELS says:
    I REALLY ENJOYED THIS INTERVIEW IT WAS REALLY FUNNY AND STRAIGHT TO THE POINT. THE JOURNALIST DID A GREAT JOB AND I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING HER ALOT MORE.

09.13.06 at 3:31 pm

jojochicago says:
    This dude is funny and real! that ‘haters’ routine is some real off the hook shit! sounds like it comes from experience. he’s the future! welcome to my household by way of tv dvd and cd, thanks!

09.14.06 at 2:25 am

Mike Page says:
    Very interesting. I didn’t know that Kat Williams had eight kids. I shows his good heart to hear that 7 of 8 are adopted. I have alot more respect for him.

09.14.06 at 7:54 pm

Mona Lisa says:
    EIGHT KIDS!!! Daaayum. That’s some crazy shit. I loved the article. Dude is mad funny. Who interviewed this cat? They really asked some different questions. But definitely different in a good way. It has a lot of info on Kat that I hadn’t read before!

09.14.06 at 7:59 pm

Rukiya says:
    I would have to agree with Mona Lisa. The writer of this article is the business. And Kat Williams must be a natural talent. He’s effortlessly funny. Hope we get the chance to hear more from N’neka. She’s a great inteviewer.

09.15.06 at 2:16 pm

Maxine says:
    This was a very informative piece, kudos to Ms. Hite for asking questions that people really want the answer to. I to have much more respect for Katt knowing now that he has 7 adopted kids, that says a lot for him as a man..no wonder he charges $25,000.00 a show. He needs it…Congrats on your success Katt, and also good luck to you Ms. Hite, I can wait to see what you ask on you next interview…

09.15.06 at 2:42 pm

Fredebeano says:
    Good interview! The method of questioning employed allowed Money to relax and give some good insight on who he is and where he’s come from. Look forward to seeing more from N’neka on this site!!

09.16.06 at 12:54 am

Kristina Owens says:
    The Interview was great. N’neka Hite did a great job interviewing him. He is really a interesting person. The interviewer asked the perfect questions. I definetely know more about my boy “Money Mike”.

09.16.06 at 12:58 am

Tiana says:
    WOW! That’s all I have to say about Katt and the Interviewer N’neka was wonderful. I’m looking for to hearing more from N’neka!

09.16.06 at 1:01 am

Tre Dog says:
    DAMN KATT 8 KIDS! And you taking care of all of them!That’s what’s up. He is a great comedian and a great father. The interview was off the hook.

09.21.06 at 4:35 am

jonny says:
    jonny

09.29.06 at 9:38 am

jason says:
    why dip set your rich bitch.

11.3.06 at 6:29 am

Mr. X-Ceptional says:
    Well Katt Williams, u are surely on way to being one of the greatest comedians ever

11.16.06 at 11:21 pm

drew says:
    i’ll jump on the bandwagon and say the interviewer did a good job at asking interesting questions. And to Katt, do your thing and take care of the world with your words, my man. Let the haters’ HATE!!!!

02.28.07 at 3:20 am

Tamm E Hunt says:
    Katt Williams is the 21st Century Richard Pryor. His level of comedy can only come through true intelligence. A master performer, writer and humanitarian. It isonly a matter of time that Katt Williams will rule as the King of Comedy. We have only just begun to see the true essence of a master satyrist. Katt Williams! He is no over night sensation. He deserves every great break that comes his way. Hard work and due dilligence.

05.10.07 at 10:46 am

SIR'KRAZY'D OF THE CHI says:
    haaahaaa…..what the fokk is this world commin to…got money mike…doin battle rap’s…now that wild’n out….and game..probly wrote that sh1t….fok the industrie…….is jacked……plus young guns some gay…a…ss..rappers to begin…fok them ?im out myspace.com/sitywidechi

Comments