39 Comments     Wednesday, January 31st, 2007

King of The White Girls

Heavy is Polow Da Don’s head that wears the crown

If one expects revolution to, well, revolutionize then it cannot be passive. It must be aggressive, controversial, and morally contentious. The words must not only be shocking, it is also helpful if they are perceived by many as outlandish, uncomfortable, and just plain stupid. Polow Da Don’s recent proclamation in the latest issue of SCRATCH Magazine embodied all of these characteristics.

Polow, for those who don’t know, has produced some of the biggest (and in some cases, only) hits for artists such as Fergie (“London Bridges”) and the Pussycat Dolls (“Buttons”), to Rich Boy (“Throw Some D’s”) and Ludacris (“Pimpin’ All Over The World”). But aside from great music, Polow Da Don also wants to be known as “King of the White Girls”.

In the interview, Polow claims the statement is “very true” because he “was one of the first dudes from the ‘hood to really bring the white girls out to the parties and the clubs.”

I can just see the women of Essence or any number of black sororities getting their thongs in a bunch because a black man has proclaimed himself the King of the oppressor’s sister. “He ain’t shit,” they’ll say. Before they see the humor in a title like, “King of the White Girls”, they’ll see the foulness in it and probably team up with the United Coalition of Scared White People to crucify Polow and men like him, Emmett Till be damned. Ask a black woman the biggest reason why their aren’t any black men, and they’ll either say jail or white women. As one of my boys once told me, black women can be “worse than white folks.” And while I don’t agree with that totally, I have seen many instances where black women refuse to dance to a song that has the word “bitch” in the hook, even if said bitch is a metaphor for a car. I know you can hear that sista now, talking about, “Why’s it gotta be a bitch though?”

The thing is, Polow needs to be king of the white girls, and if white girls ever want to be cool, they need to let him reign on them. It’s just like hip hop. Black people made it cool, but white people made it relevant. To wit – The King of the White Girls is the guy who made Fergie bump in every club from London to Brooklyn and who knows? He could’ve given the beat to Ciara, but with so many sistas hating on Ci-Ci, saying she can’t sing, Polow had to help the girl prove her family wrong and go make “Promise.”

P.S. For the record, Huey P. Langston won’t be gunning for Polow’s crown anytime soon. So my sistas, if you mad, leave your info in the comments, and we can, you know, talk it out ;)

This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 31st, 2007 at 7:10 pm and is filed under After Further Review, Columnists. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

39 Responses to “King of The White Girls”

02.4.07 at 10:31 pm

diva says:
    I think its funny no more, no less. As a black young woman older or wanna be politcally correct black women can be irritating taking everything so seriously. We will crucify a rapper for using the word bitch but celebrate those tricks from sex in the city.

02.6.07 at 1:44 am

Ayana says:
    First of all, let me just say that ur article was scattered and a lil unfocused. No offense–well actually, fuck it… plenty of offense– but I’m still not sure what the point of that article was: you go from talking about the artist and his white fetish to dissin Black women… all in about 5 short paragraphs. But, anyways, I’m not writing to spit out personal attacks, I actually just have a couple of points. There are a couple things wrong with the claims and arguments you make: 1) The implication of this article seems to be that Polow likes White girls– and White girls ONLY. (If that’s not what u meant, u might wanna revisit ur article booboo, cause ur shit was so ambiguous, that it’s hard to tell what ur really saying about that.) But anyways, I have a couple questions: who cares? Why is that information a) new, b) interesting, c) worth telling the World about? You urself only managed to write 250 words about it. But, more importantly than that, you start criticizing Black women who would have a problem with his preferences, not realizing that for many women the problem is NOT that some dudes like White women–it’s that some like White women, ONLY. (Now, I’m not gonna speak for everyone, cause some people don’t wanna hear about interracial relationships, period… but even then, even if u disagree with that, what u have to understand is that when u’ve been placed at the bottom of the beauty totem pole for centuries–as Black women have–u can come out being a lil resentful.) Back to my point about exclusivity, I don’t care what color u are, but if u only date a race of people–while excluding the group that looks like u–u got bigger problems than just what’s on the surface… when u can’t see the beauty and value in someone who looks like u (whether it’s a White dude who doesn’t wanna talk to ANY white girls), then u got issues–and that’s never cute. 2) You also write ur article as if u expect Black women to react with stankness and attitude. BUT, your overall tone is antagonistic and offensive towards Black women from jump, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy: ur gonna get negative responses because ur provoking them. Question: Why on Earth would that bother u so much that some Black women wouldn’t take kindly to being called bitches? Black men certainly don’t like to be called anything south of what’s considered respectful, so why should women sit back and take that kinda treatment? Some women have different opinions about this, but u can’t fault any woman for thinking that they’re worthy of respect and dignified treatment. If I don’t wanna be called a bitch, why on God’s green Earth would that rile u up so much? Sounds like u got some of ur own issues u need to work out booboo. Now, I don’t claim to speak for every Black woman, cause i can’t… there’s no way to speak for an entire group of people. But in the same way that I’m not gonna claim to speak for everyone, u shouldn’t come at ur readers as if they’re all the same… especially when ur not making a lick of sense. It sounds like ur a big fan and supporter of dating Buffy and Muffy, but it’s all good boo, do you. Just don’t project ur identity issues back onto the rest of us. Sincerely, 1 of many Black women

02.6.07 at 10:23 am

mikebrowntheremix says:
    Huey P. threw in the mean disclaimer at the end. I respect that hustle. Ha ha.

02.6.07 at 1:13 pm

Leonie says:
    Funny as hell…while reading my issue of ESSENCE…and getting ready to meet my white man.

02.6.07 at 4:08 pm

Mona says:
    Polow is pathetic and not to be taken seriously.

02.6.07 at 6:57 pm

Queens Boogie says:
    I respect Polow for all that he has done in the industry but what does that have to do with the women that he dates? It’s hilarious that he mention the fact that he was the 1st to bring white girls to parties and what not…. For what? To show the “sistas” that someone will and can want him? Kudos to you hun but if you aren’t strong enough to be with me what makes you think I give a damn if you date a white girl… the bitch (a word this African American woman not offended by)can be purple with green polka dots. I don’t care. I have nothing but the up most unconditional love for my black men , broke, angry and all I love all of you. If you want to run to the bitch that would never take you home to meet daddy be the Queen’s guest. Not to pick on anyone either, but it shows what kind of person the writer is for thinking black women still trip over petty dudes still in the “Uncle Ruckus” mind frame.

02.6.07 at 7:56 pm

Shoni says:
    What exactly is there to be mad about? I’m guessing you want over 100 angry comments…you know how us sistas just love to go off. Believe it or not, not all of us give a rat’s ass who this clown chooses to be seen with. If he does find someone simple enough to be with him they pretty much deserve each other. I have seen many instances where black women refuse to dance to a song that has the word “bitch” in the hook, even if said bitch is a metaphor for a car. I know you can hear that sista now, talking about, “Why’s it gotta be a bitch though?” I can’t believe this statement was even added.

02.6.07 at 9:40 pm

Sonny says:
    Disclaimer: This nigga’s opinion’s do not represent those of all Black men. Not back to your regularly scheduled program.

02.7.07 at 1:26 pm

corey says:
    ok…..see, this is why black guys like me date white chicks. cause of girls like ayana. it’s polow’s sexual preference. just like me…i think mixed children are beautiful…a black woman can’t give me a mixed child…so guess what? but the irony of it, is that my current g/f is black..and she’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me. color means nothin’ w/ her..but if we ever broke up….then it’s straight back ta’ white chicks….can’t give up what you love.

02.7.07 at 7:50 pm

Shae says:
    Corey- I commend you for not blaming Black women for your weakness and stepping up to let the world know that the problem is you and your hatred of self.Very few men are wiling to admit that they find those who don’t look like themselves most beautiful and thuse seek to procreate with those who they think will give them beautiful offspring.Kudos for owning up to your own ugliness and not blaming sistas.I too love me some Al B Sure looking men and can’t stand the sight of an ugly Wesley Snipes looking brotha.I hope to one day marry a brotha like that and beautiful lightskin children who in turn I will teach to hate themselves and they too will marry light or white until finally, no darkies will be in our family at all.

02.8.07 at 7:00 am

J-Real says:
    shae is truly killin me. seriously. i’m writing this front the grave. but for real. but truly, brother corey, if u only date white women, then how the hell did you end up with a black chick. and on top of that, IN LOVE with a black chick. thats neither here nor there. my post today is to just ask ya’ll to cut my boy h.p.l. a lil slack. are some of his statements antagonistic, hell yeah. but its just cause i been reading back a lil bit and dude been mauled by a few ladies here and there. like “when animals attack” type stuff. ITS AN EDITORIAL. if you want fact, pick up usa today. this is entertainment and opinion. so let things flow and continue to read as i will, and these lil sessions might make all us a lil bit wide eyed to life.

02.8.07 at 8:58 pm

Shoni says:
    Corey I’m going to start praying for your kids now because after reading your comment I can’t help but feel sorry for a life you are responsible for.

02.8.07 at 9:01 pm

Shoni says:
    Corey I am going to start praying for your kids now because I can’t help but feel sorry for someone who calls you dad.

02.8.07 at 9:03 pm

Chistine says:

02.11.07 at 7:38 am

Chase says:
    Well I am a beautiful half Guyanese/Black half Italian woman myself, and I had a very hard time growing up because I had a hard time with identifying myself with both races. When I was in grade school and junior high, I was often an outsider because other kids would ask me “What color are you or “what are you?” My father loved WOMEN of any color as long as they were beautiful, but on my part he failed as a father to recognize and to teach me the value of who he was and my mother an Italian also failed to teach me that too. I get so sick and tired of black men and women saying that they want to be with light skinned or white or any other race but their own. It seems like we’ve always had this problem because we are colors of the spectrum and that’s what we should be proud of. We are the only race besides Hispanic that have a beautiful spectrum and rainbow of all colors of men and women from blue black to lily almost white. I have a sister who skin tone is of chocolate milk and she is absolutely beautiful. Before you bring any child into his world you must identify YOURSELF of who you are and what you are. You’d be surprise how many men and women who don’t know who they are. Whether or not the guy in the article wants to be with white women, red, purple, or green, it doesn’t matter. Whatever makes you happy. And yes black women do tend to take things a bit TOO seriously at times. Sometimes we go over board but that’s just who we are as women and there nothing or nobody out there that can compare to that. Black women tend to be stronger emotionally and verbally as I say because you know we always got something to talk about. I think this article was all about fun and really putting a truth out there on one of the reasons why black men tend to curve themselves to a white women. It not all about hating your race because we’ve had this problem from the beginning of time. It’s just about knowing who you are.

02.14.07 at 6:56 am

Let me say this says:
    As my boy told me … BLACK WOMEN, no matter HOW MUCH you DO for them, spoil them, ect, they STILL try to find SOMETHING WRONG, WHITE WOMAN find what’s wrong and make it and TRY TO MAKE IT RIGHT.

02.14.07 at 6:57 am

Let me say this says:
    As my boy told me … BLACK WOMEN, no matter HOW MUCH you DO for them, spoil them, ect, they STILL try to find SOMETHING WRONG, WHITE WOMAN find what’s wrong and TRY TO MAKE IT RIGHT. wow.

02.17.07 at 7:40 pm

Chase says:
    I don’t think that’s true at all unless you’ve been dealing with the wrong woman.

02.22.07 at 3:17 pm

Lovebeinasistah says:
    And we care what his sexual preference is because…?

02.23.07 at 9:12 pm

diabla says:
    #1 I HAVE NO TIME TO BABYSIT A GROWN ASS MAN-
    NO MATTA HOW MUCH WE DO— NIGGAS DONT GIVE A FUCK
    SO NEITHER DO I
    #2 HE CAN B KING OF THE WHITIES WHO CARES LOOK AT DUDE HE THE CORNY TYPE ANYWAY DO U SEE KEISHA AND CHANTE LIVIN THE CLUB WITH THAT? NAW!!!
    #3 WHILE HE GON ON WHITE IM GOIN ON WHITE-HALF ASS NIGGAS CANT DO A “BITCH RIGHT”
    #4 HE CAN DO HIS THANG-I STILL LISTEN TO SONGS THAT SAY BITCH THIS AND I SLANG THAT
    Y BCUZ I WAS THERE WHEN IT WAS REALLY GOIN ON NOT NO SKINNY PALE HOE!!!!
    I’M NOT MAD CUZ I STILL CAN MAKE IT CLAP!!!!!!LOL NEXT

02.27.07 at 11:11 pm

E says:
    That was the weirdest and worst article I have ever read. Are you serious?

03.14.07 at 7:15 pm

mika-katsu says:
    I am black myself…I like everyone because to me, they are people and I don’t care for a lot of people. As long as they’re nice, I don’t care…Let the man be…I mean who gives a rat’s ass about someone else, anyways?

03.15.07 at 2:25 am

Megan says:
    I can’t wait for the day brothers would just stop being embarrased about their lust and passion for white girls and stop putting down sistas because of it. White women are the standard of beauty. That’s why Black men lust after them and prefer something close to their looks. Which is also why sistas do some of the things we do to ourselves so we can be as close as we can get to that standard of beauty. If a brother feels that need to justify his attraction to white girls, be real about it, don’t put me down. And to the author, tell your friend that nobody has been more loyal to brothers more than a sister. That foolishness that we are close to a white man is absolute ignorance.

04.13.07 at 8:50 pm

greeneyes says:
    Polow is a dope azz producer. I don’t think that he only dates white women but if he does that’s something he has to live with… I can only imagine how his family feels about his choice of females???? He is very attractive and can probably have any woman he wants. I hope he is kidding about this white girl thing but if not we will soon see his bride-2-be blasted over the internet and hopefully she will at least be bi-racial. The author didn’t make it clear exactly so everyone is assuming that Polow ONLY dates white women. Its his choice! But why he gotta tell the world? Just do you playa… and keep bringing the hits!!

05.6.07 at 12:35 am

nicole says:
    he said n anutha article, its cuz of dey head game………..

07.27.07 at 4:55 pm

Meilanni says:
    I say let him do wateva. It seems to me that he wants to be know as the king of the white girl in the sense of music and even if he did only like white girls we can’t get all that mad at the dude because when a black man say, I only like light-skinned girls it’s like whateva but as soon as a black man say he like white girls people start losing they mind but let him say the say thing but put light-skinned or even dark-skinned in place od white girls and it’s all good I think that if there is no poblem with a black man saying he only likes light or dark-skinned girls then we all should be prepared for some black men to say they only like white girls or any other race of females for that matter.

08.26.07 at 2:36 am

THAMAN says:
    YES YES WHITE WOMEN AND ASIANS ARE MORE FLEXIBLE AND UNDERSTANDING THAN BLACK BITCHES UM I MEAN “SISTAS” IT IS TRU THOUGH YOU SPOIL BLACKS AND DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN FOR THEM BUT THEY STILL WANNA FIND SOMETHING WRONG AND TAKE YOU FOR GRANTED. BUT NO LIE I ENCOUNTER REAL STRONG BLACK WOMEN THAT REALLY LOVES AND STANDS FOR HER MAN NO MATTER WHAT BUT WOMEN LIKE THAT ARE A NEEDLE IN A HAY STACK FELLAS I’M I RIGHT OR WRONG BE REAL. AS LONG AS THE MONEY KEEPS COMING IN THATS WHEN THEY’LL STAY SO THAT’S WHY I KEEP A GANG OF BITCHES SO NO ONE TRIES TO PLAY WIFEY AND LOCK CASH, UNLESS SHE HAVE SIX TO SEVEN FIGURE DOE HERSELF THEN WE’LL PLAY HOUSE.

08.27.07 at 5:50 pm

Deez Da Beast says:
    Polow do ur thing dawg i aint hatin on u dawg….me personally i like the yummy chocolate, caramel, ladies…and im mexican…..do ur white girl thing dawg… more black girls for me

08.29.07 at 1:14 pm

kik says:
    as a mixed child, growing i never felt beautiful, my mother is german, and my father is black, chinese, and latin, so i ended up with a nice carmel-tan skin tone, golden blonde hair, big green asian eyes, i looked so different, than my fellow white firends. white guys were never seemed attracted to me, but other races, ess. black men are, so in turn i’ve dated mostly mixed or black guys. one ex bf who was actually white( my only one) said i was such as beautiful girl, but my slim frame (thax to my mom), and my big latin and black butt and hips, was so ulgy, and he was scarred his children would come out black . my current bf is black with sisters who seem to hate me, they always talk about proving my blackness, and how i’m some rich white bitch,. the comments he made were wrong, but it is his personal opinion, but for the record i am no ones sub slave, and no gold digger. i am strong, well -bred, collge educated, and attractive, and i happen to be part white.

08.30.07 at 9:03 pm

BlackCeleBrat says:
    He’ll be following in Wesley Snipes’ footsteps and going…nowhere!!!!

08.31.07 at 3:49 am

lanette says:
    WHO CARES! IF he digs white girls thats where he needs to be. “Black women” are always stereotyped to be these strong women with attitudes that are disrespectful to men and rude.Men need to realize that women are individuales too black or white. anyways ur artical was typical but “black women are used to it we have to get called nappy headed hoes to get any attention in main stream America

09.4.07 at 10:00 pm

J Robin says:
    I know white folks are laughing there behinds off. Another ignorant n. Obviously, it pays to turn on your own. More power to him-my daughter was just trying to explain how wacked this dude is to me yesterday-and she wasn’t even talking about this particular craziness.

09.16.07 at 1:40 pm

babygirl 03 says:
    I think this man polow….is dumb! If you like white girls then hey, do your thing. You do not need to diss and degrade black women in the process. Even if he did date black girls, I still woouldn’t be interested in him anyway! LOL. So It isn’t like our culture is missing a good brother. So if the white girls want em, they can keep him cuz he isn’t even worth a sista’s time. Us black women appreciate a strong black man so appreciates us. So if he don’t, tell him to kick rocks! There are plenty of good avalible white men as well! LOL So do ya thangs sista’s…im just glad as hell that I found me a good BLACK brother that loves his BLACK skin….In the future we’ll have some beautiful BLACK BABIES!!!

09.24.07 at 10:58 pm

Jen says:
    Is anyone else surprised? Thats why I gave up on black men loooooong ago. No loyalty, NO SOUL. They can have him.

10.1.07 at 11:07 pm

Madison says:
    WHITE WOMEN WILL FUCK YOU UP JUST AS GOOD AS THE BLACK WOMEN WILL. WHEN THOSE WHITE GIRLS HOLLA RAPE HE’LL REMEMBER WHAT COLOR HE IS THEN. ISN’T HE FROM ALABAMA, IM NOT SURE BECAUSE WHITE WOMEN AND BLACK MEN EQUALS DEATH IN ALABAMA!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck you polow the traiter!!!!!!!!!!!!

12.27.07 at 4:36 pm

KaiCee says:
    Men notoriously like white women because they act like children.
    And not to sound like a man hater, but seriously men have through history have had a pedophile gene. From the dark ages where girls were married at 8 and giving birth as soon as they could from then, to all the “barely legal” websites today.
    Whether or not it is realized, white chick looove acting like babies since it gives them the attention they need. For example:
    They act stupid and foolish, completely unknowing, being in a place she could never go alone, so a man can be their daddy figure
    They talk in a baby voice, which is somehow sexy to a man… again the daddy thing
    They show their ass like a little toddler would, flashing their shit everywhere
    They can’t hold their alchohol and have no inhibitions anyway, and if they can they pretend they can’t. Its fucked but its true, and the race classifications will never stop. Back when slave trading still went down we were all psychologically trained to hate eachother. From the black to white, white to black, and the most important of all… the black to black. We’ve been altered through history to hate eachother and ourselves- like like skinned blacks. Disregarding your own race just shows how strong this has altered our minds. We cant rise up from hatred until we unify and leave old ideas behind.

01.24.08 at 2:53 pm

Easy-e says:
    I agree with the king im 30 an until 2 months ago had never dated a white girl but now im taking my college educated black a$$ to the other side since i have a good job an two nice cars an own a house every black girl i meet in church club wal-mart all want money my new girlfriend hasnt asked for a dime matter of she has bought me stuff I know not all sista are like this but the majority here are all about hair an nails an can you pay my bills an beggin for money but at the same time calling themselves MISS INDEPENDENT.

02.25.08 at 4:03 pm

lindsay says:
    What really needs to happen…not only in this article but in all these comments as well…is that EVERYONE needs to stop relying on stereotypes…i mean really…almost everyone has mentioned some kind of stereotype (i.e-KaiCee, saying ‘white chick looove acting like babies’???/Madison, saying ‘white women and black men equals death in alabama!!!’????/Jen, saying ‘I gave up on black men a long time ago. No loyalty, NO SOUL.’???…and plenty more i don’t feel like reiterating)…POINT BEING…everyone relys on these STUPID stereotypes!!! What needs to happen is everyone (no matter what color you are) needs to stop tryin to point the finger at an entire group of people! How bout everyone just give each person a chance as a PERSON…not a WHITE bitch, or a BLACK bitch…just a WOMAN…since this is what most of this article is aimed at.
    Another thing about this article…why in the world would someone want to objectify a race like that anyways??? KING of the white girls???? I seriously hate the media cuz they are the reason why people get so caught up in these stereotypes…THIS DAMN ARTICLE IS A PERFECT YET UNFORTUNATE EXAMPLE. people need to wake up
    I MEAN HONESTLY.
    And did anyone ever think that different is becoming more beautiful and interesting to all races of people!!! i mean look at how many people are bi-racial! it’s a beautiful thing…differences…so why don’t we all live for today and realize that the past is the past, and there is no changing that (unfortunately). . . BUT we are the future…we change these stereotypes as quickly or slowly as we wana…so just open your mind!! and next time you think about a stereotype try and ERASE THAT SHIT!!!!!

01.3.09 at 3:28 pm

kelen says:
    I totally agree with this comment “for many [black] women the problem is NOT that some [black] dudes like White women,it’s that some like White women, ONLY. …If u only date a race of people while excluding the group that looks like u, u got bigger problems…u got issues. I feel that we as blacks need to do some self-healing from the many years of racial hurt and love one another. BLACK LOVE!!!!

Comments