16 Comments     Monday, April 2nd, 2007

Quit Kidding Yourself

Huey P. Langston thinks what Tony Yayo did was wrong, but that doesn’t mean these kids don’t need their ass whooped!

As I write this, the good Reverend Al Sharpton is hosting a press conference in regards to the alleged love tap Tony Yayo handed to the teenaged son of Jimmy “Henchman” Rosemond. As the story goes, Rosemond’s son was walking in the neighborhood of the Violator offices, which handles the G-Unit acts. Yayo spotted the kid wearing a t-shirt with the Czar Entertainment logo, which is the company owned by Rosemond. Yayo, clearly upset by the sight of Rosemond’s son James and his wardrobe of choice, pushed (or slapped, the story varies) the kid around. Many have called Yayo’s actions despicable, pussy, and out of pocket – the nadir of rap beefs.

Having followed this story from the first news reports to the present I have noticed the surging biases in favor of the Rosemond family and against Tony Yayo, which is really unfortunate. No doubt what Yayo did was wrong, but in many regards, Yayo’s act represents a necessary evil. It’s not to say that Rosemond’s son specifically deserved the ass whooping he received, but, the act itself – a kid receiving an ass whooping from someone outside of the family – is something that should not be punished because the bottom line is kids today are out of fucking control and some of them need to be smacked.

I’ve lived in ‘hoods all my life, not to say I’m proud of it, but just follow me here: When I was growing up in the mid-90′s, the middle school I went to was out of control, partly because it was named after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and we all know what it means when anything is named after the good Doctor, but I digress. King was like any other middle school in the inner city, filled with Blacks, Latinos, and troubled Asian kids. And like most middle schools, students would get in fights, the only difference was, nine times out 10, the fights at King usually ended up with someone going to the hospital. We’re not talking about grown ass men and women fighting, we’re talking about kids, right around “Lil Henchman’s” age group, handing out beatings so severe, niggas wasn’t going to the nurse’s office, they were going to ICU.

Fast forward to today and turn on HBO’s hit drama, The Wire, which just got picked up for syndication by every black kid’s favorite telvision station, BET. Last season, The Wire revolved around Baltimore’s troubled school system, and the most compelling characters are teenaged boys either selling dope or killing folks.

The fact of the matter is, kids are a lot more grown today than they were back in the day. Rosemond’s son included. People want to tell the story as though Rosemond’s son didn’t do anything but walk on by. But, he knew where he was walking, and he knew what he was doing. He may have not been trying to start a situation as severe as the one that took place, but dude was asking for someone to pay attention to him. I know this because I work in the area where he was hemmed up and round here, there is absolutely nothing for a kid Rosemond Jr’s age to get into. So you want to wear a shirt that can only fit a grown ass man, walk around like a grown ass man, and then be called a kid when a grown ass man lays hands on you. To me, that dog don’t hunt. Ask the kids in Los Angeles. Even they know not to go walking around on another group’s turf with the wrong colors.

It’s understood, Yayo should’ve known better. Even his G-Unit homie Young Buck said what Yayo did was out of order, but what’s also out of order is not looking at both sides of the story. The white power structure is quick to hand out life sentences to today’s young minorities, which is a testament to the severity of the crimes they are committing and the failure of our community to discipline our children. What? You didn’t know? Roll the clip!

The Rosemond family aside, we are living in the era of the first generation of kids raised by crack babies, which means a lot of them just don’t give a fuck. Black families want to complain about the NBA age-limit, saying the rule was racist in its intent, but when a kid gets dealt with like an adult, we want to scream, “Their only kids!” You can’t have it both ways. We either have to let boys be boys or boys be men.

What Yayo did was wrong on the surface, but in theory, he did something anyone in the ‘hood would do, because in the ‘hood, the kids grow up fast, and the line between adulthood and childhood is virtually non-existent. So the next time you’re walking through the mean streets of Anyhood U.S.A. and you come across a group of kids who want to take you for your lunch money, ask yourself this question: What would Yayo do? Kids need to be beat, and if their parents don’t do it, someone else will.

This entry was posted on Monday, April 2nd, 2007 at 3:24 pm and is filed under After Further Review, Columnists. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

16 Responses to “Quit Kidding Yourself”

04.2.07 at 4:17 pm

You Know says:
    I’d like to reinstitute corporal punishment in classrooms, and beat downs in general.

04.2.07 at 7:52 pm

Arkatek says:
    Your whole argument is stupid. Yayo is the one who needs to smack the f up. I don’t care if the kid was selling F’ G-Unit bean pies in front of Violator offices. A grown man would ignore him. Yayo is the young punk in this situation. Get real.

04.3.07 at 8:58 am

D.Hayles says:
    What you just said is crazy. That kid has the right to wear anything he wants. The fact that someone as established as Tony Yayo would assault a kid for wearing a shirt that he did not like is ridiculous. This kid goes to school, takes part in an internship program, and seems to be going somewhere in life. If that is a crime then why even teach our kids to strive and excel in society. What Yayo did was wrong and at no time should it be pardoned for any reason.

04.3.07 at 12:06 pm

stoneyisland says:
    Kids are out of control no doubt but it’s the parents responsibily to beat thier own kids ass, not some wanna be grown ass dude. As a parent I could care less how bad my kids my be acting if another man puts his hands on my seeds I will gladly give up the ghost trying to kill a muthafucka. There are certain codes in the streets and Yayo violated one of the most sacred. Shame on you Yayo u’s a bitch

04.3.07 at 4:05 pm

rightsideup says:
    Tony yayo needs to go sit his punk ass down somwhere and work on his rhyming skills he can’t rap no way. He’s 50 cents bitch.

04.3.07 at 5:10 pm

Sparks says:
    Were you high when you wrote this piece? Seriously. For a grown man to beat up a kid because he was wearing a tee shirt is ridiculous. Put the pipe down and wake up. Yayo is punk b*tch!

04.4.07 at 4:18 am

Dana says:
    i didn’t even bother to read most of this because the description alone was enough to turn me off. What Yaya or Yoyo did was attack a child who was sporting the t-shirt of someone he considered his enemy.Yaya was not attempting to discipline some unruly kid and we both know it. All we have here is a grown man who used his age and strength against someone smaller and more vulnerable than him. Now that is something that goes on everyday in the hood.Grown men abusing women and children because they can.

04.4.07 at 11:05 am

A Real Motherq says:
    I totally agree I have 2 boys and a girl and the will never be able to do half of the stuff some of these other kids do because I am not having it, and I am a young mother but the problem is parents want to be there children’s friends and that’s where it starts it really takes a village, These kids need their asses whipped and maybe we wont have teen pregnancy teen killings all of the above.

04.4.07 at 6:28 pm

PayDay says:
    I’m in a reading and writing mood today pyimpin. Ay, check this out. The artcile said Yayo was wrong for putting hands on young. It also said to peep both sides. Let’s presume Yayo is the most out of pocket dude ever. He’s also fresh out of prison so I gotta give him a litle benefit of the doubt that he didn’t just step out the door and start whoopin ass. My real gues is that Yayo said something slick after seeing the shirt, and young “henchmen” responded with the bravodo that “do you know who my daddy is…(fill in the blank).” You see , I don’t think this is the story of JUST an out of control adult. I do however beleive that a quasi-disrespectful kid’s mouth got his ass in trouble. (now doesn’t that sound a little more believable) I grew up (not down the street), but in the hood. And this is something you see all the time. Tough talkin young cats banking on the fact that an old dude won’t run in his mouth. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall, but eh…I’m sure this will become bigger news than blood diamonds so I’ll go back to the crib and cut on CNN to get the rest of the Yayo saga.

04.5.07 at 3:49 pm

A PARENT OF 4 says:
    I THINK ALOT OF THE READERS OF THIS PAGE IS JUST A LITTLE YOUNG, OR DONT COME FROM THE ERA THAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. ME ,AS A PARENT OF 4 (18,13,8, AND 3),FROM THAT ERA DO AGRE THAT KIDS ARE OUT OF CONTROL!!!I REMEMBER WHEN THE MAN AT THE STORE GRABBES YOU BY YOUR EAR AND TOOK YOU HOME WHEN YOU GOT CAUGHT, OR WHEN MISS MARY WHOOPES YOUR A.. FOR THROWING ROCK WHEN MOMS WAS AT WORK!! NOW ACT LIKE YOU WANT TO SAY SOMETHING TO A TEEN. THEY WOULD MOUTH OFF!!! AND I MEAN VERY DISRESPECTFUL ABOUT IT, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET I WAS ASWAYS TOLD TO DO AS I WAS TOLD BY AN ADULT AND IF I DIDNT LIKE , TO GO TELL MY PARENTS. NOT GET THE F OUT MY FACE OR F YOU MY DAD IS SO AND SO. WHAT TONY YAYO DID MAY HAVE BEEN WRONG AND THE WRITER MY BE WRONG, ALL I KNOW IF I (BETTER YET, IF YOU) CATCH MY CHILD OUT OF POCKET AND BEING DISRESPECTFUL, POP HIM IN HIS HEAD AND LET HIM COME AND EXPLAIN IT TO ME!!! THATS MY JOB TO B A PARENT, BUT KNOW IF YOU OUT THERE ACTING UP SOMEONE WILL GET THAT BEHIND AND WHEN I GET TO YOU I WILL DO THE SAME!! WE STOPPED WATCHING OUR KIDS. NOT JUST MY KIDS ,ALL OF OUR KIDS.START THIS KID A COLLAGE FUND FROM G UNIT TO GO WHERE EVER WANTS TO GO , AS LONG AS HE WANTS TO GO AND MAKE G-UNIT PAY FOR IT. AS LONG AS HE STAY OUT OF TROUBLE

04.5.07 at 3:55 pm

A PARENT OF 4 says:
    FUCK YOUR KIDS UP OR THEY WILL FUCK YOU UP!

04.9.07 at 7:39 pm

LEARNED A VAULEABLE LESSON says:
    My mom always said that kids should stay out of grown people business and when they don’t usually the get smacked in the mouth. Jimmy and the boys moma should have taught him that. He knew that his dad had beef with 50 camp so why i am pretty sure he try to start something and end up getting smacked in the mouth. Hell my grandma, uncles, friend of fam, would smack me in the mouth any time i didn’t shut up. So I guess LiL Jimmy learned a lesson. Stay The HECK OUT OF GROWN FOLK BUSINESS or you might get smacked. lol

04.9.07 at 8:55 pm

the teacher says:
    ALso how much do u guys want to bet that this is a stunt Czar is using to promote lil henchmen, (aka the kid that got slaps music career) http://www.myspace.com/lilhenchmen I found it funny he rap also. lol

04.10.07 at 12:49 pm

You Know says:
    Yayo didn’t beat him up. Second of all, it takes a village. Someone’s gotta beat the kid…or he’ll stay out of line. School chaos is real, and irresponsible parents are part of the problem. Y’all know you know some kids that need to get beat!

04.12.07 at 11:33 am

Latru says:
    YESSSSSIR!!!

04.13.07 at 3:49 pm

Mr. Anderson says:
    Ok. Yayo shouldn’t hit a kid. No matter how old he was or what he was doing. I do agree these kids nowadays are out of control tho. When I was younger, my mom used to fuck me up. And I’m glad I actually wished she would’ve beat me more, then I wouldn’t be as fucked up as I am now. These kids they wanna be grown not knowing that just cuz you having sex and talking back don’t make you grown. Responsibility makes you grown, and when a majority of kids even adults can’t own up to their own responsibilities, what’s the next generation gonna do. As a father of a boy. If someone puts their hand on my kid that’ll be the last thing he touches, however I will be smacking my child in the mouth if he tries to get too crazy. After all, when your young your parents discipline you, then school, then cops. Each one less forgiving then the last. Ending with the cops who are just waiting to kill us all first chance they get, but that’s another topic. Get to your kids first, before they get the death penalty cuz you know the government don’t want us here anyway.

Comments