28 Comments     Thursday, October 11th, 2007

Pea’d Off

Will.i.am talks about why Beyonce isn’t his type, why you should never sleep with groupies, and then goes off on our writer.
    By Rodney Dugue

Black Eyed Peas bandleader Will.i.am, whose latest effort is titled Songs About Girls, likes his women just like any other man – below sight and very Melyssa Ford-like. He doesn’t like to share the bed, hates dudes, and nearly ended our interview when asked about his, um, daring fashion sense. (Sorry Will, the card’s in the mail). Fortunately, he gives up the goods on groupie love. Finally, some honesty. Thanks. By the way, we still love you, Tyra.

KING-MAG.com I’ve been listening to the new album, Songs About Girls. More booty talk than a pirate’s treasure chest. Is it safe to say you’re an ass man?
    Will.i.am:Actually, I’m not an ass man

Really?
    Nah, I’m not an ass man, I’m a boob dude

Is that so?
    That is so

Speaking of shocking stuff how is it working with Michael Jackson?
    It’s going along awesome

There’s gotta be some more words in the dictionary you can use?
    Some dope shit.

Cool. Dope.
    I can’t really comment because it’s his record.

I don’t understand, but ok. Man to man, you’re my hero after breaking so many hearts on “Heartbreaker”.
    Um, I couldn’t say I’m a heartbreaker, by nature. I just broke somebody’s heart. I’m not a player. You know I’ve made mistakes. That’s what that song is about. It’s like apologizing and owning up to why the relationship fell apart.

***CHECK OUT THE VIDEO FOR “HEARTBREAKER”***

Sure. Who are the 5 most important women in your life?
    My mom, my grandma in slot number 1, um, my mom in slot number 2, my grandma in slot number 3…

And I guess the rest vary week to week?
    Nah, just…when you got women like that, it’s hard to put somebody next to them. They’re too awesome. Those two hold all five positions

What’s your stance on groupie love?
    Groupie love?

Yeah, groupie love, not the movie, but those little parasites that eat at your fame.
    You mean chicks that like Black Eyed Peas? Yeah, that’s a given you know… especially when you’re in a big group. You’re always gonna have a lot of groupies. But, I don’t know… It’s cool. When I was younger it was fun. It’s irritating, now.

You sound like a McDonald’s employee.
    It’s just irritating. I can’t really explain it. It’s like… you wanna have conversations [with the groupies]…my whole shit, right now, is just conversations things that are gonna expand my, um…expand my whole everything. It’s cool that the fans like your music. But, they get all giddy and shit. It’s not that they’re dumb, they’re not dumb – they’re excited. And when they’re excited, you know they’re excited. You have to appreciate it. You have to be responsible, too. What you don’t do is bone the groupies.

Never? Is that cardinal rule number 1?
    It’s just not smart

Stupidity has its rewards. Extra curricular activity, of this sort, is not really your M.O.
    Yeah, that’s dead on. I like to hang out, everybody parties, I hang out. I get a vibe of what’s the city’s like. Then, I just go on to the studio. I carry my studio with me. I just like to work.

You haven’t met Superhead, though. Anyway, who’s in your top 5, hot and alive?
    Jennifer Love Hewitt – she’s like pretty banging. Rosario Dawson – she’s even more banging. Salma Hayek -before when she was a mom, extra banging. Rosie Perez.

Rosie Perez, the kids don’t know about her
    Yeah, throwbacks. That’s a hot throwback. Who else got stackin racks?

Pamela Lee Anderson?
    Nah, I like ‘em real.

Me, too, sometimes
    Home chicks from…you remember that one TV show that used to pretend…they used to bite Married With Children. Her name is Nikki Cox.

I gotta google her. Let’s say I put you in Jay-Z’s shoes and I asked you to write a song about Beyonce

I smell a quitter
    I’m not Jay-Z and she’s not my girl.

Use your imagination
    She’s not my type like that.

So says the blind man
    She’s pretty, she’s beautiful but that ain’t my type. I like short girls. I like 5 foot 2 and that’s it.

Anything taller wouldn’t be right
    Maybe, 5’ 5’’, she could get away with it. But now, I can’t fuck with anybody taller than 5’ 3’.

How tall are you?
    5’ 10’’.

Um, help me out here, Sherlock.
    I just like ‘em short. I like em so I can spoon em in the bed. So, I can snuggle. I dont like long ass legs. Like, what the fuck?

I’m guessing you won’t be climbing any models
    Hell No. They skinny. They legs [are] all lanky and shit. Fuckin, taking up the fuckin blankets and shit. They fuckin’ taking up the bed. Nah, homie.

The blankets are important
    I just like real shorties. They packin.

Lil Kim?
    No. Cuz I like…She’s cute too. I ain’t shitting… I like boobies and little waist and booties.

I forgot, she’s had a few operations. Let’s bring this back to music. Is there a Black Eyed Peas album in the works?
    Yes, 2008. December

Any big artists you due to work with in the near future?
    Michael Jackson

You sort of mentioned him earlier. Anybody else?
    Whitney Houston [and] Mariah Carey

How is it in the studio with artists of that caliber?
    It all depends on what the artists want. Either, I make something and they like it. Or, I’m just here to exexute what they want. There’s no ego… there’s not one way to skin the cat. We’re gonna scrub the cat on the fuckin cement ‘till the hair come out [laughs].

What do you say to people who call you the fake Wyclef?
    We look alike but our music is totally different. He doesn’t dress like me. If people say shit, they’re gonna say shit. Dudes…that’s some shit niggas say. Dudes say that shit. I’m not worried bout what dudes are saying.

We can be rough, at times. Where’s the sense in your fashion sense? Do you just wake up every morning and say I’m gonna dress as weird as I can?
    Oooh yeah nigga let me put on this clown outfit. Yo, fuck that shit, fuck you Ronald Mc Donald. I’m taking offense to your questions, now.

That’s not a personal foul, more like a technical one
    When you do an interview, do you ask the stupidest questions or do you like relate ‘em to music?

Well, a good question is a bad question. Is your style not weird, or is it me?
    Um, I travel a lot

You’re more cultured than me. I accept that. Maybe you’re ahead of us.
    It has nothing to do with about being ahead or behind. It’s just expression. I like to express myself in music. I like to express myself in fashion. I don’t like looking like everybody. I’m not a Gap dude. I’m not gonna wear a gap t shirt. I’m not gonna walk around looking like everybody in our streets. I don’t…I don’t feel comfortable wearing the same ‘drobe that the masses walk around wearing thinking that’s it cool. I like to express how I wanna look. Can I get some applause? Can motherfuckers make some noise. Individuality, motherfuckers.

Bravo, Will! Bravo!

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 11th, 2007 at 11:15 am and is filed under Features. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

28 Responses to “Pea’d Off”

10.11.07 at 2:14 pm

SARE says:
    WOW PLEASE TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL….

10.11.07 at 2:23 pm

Jai says:
    Will.I.Am is a good producer that’s it.. other then that, he should be lucky someone likes his ugly self.. he can’t rap.. wat is he even talkin bout…?!?! And The B.E.P’s suck anyway! What are they talkin bout with their music! NOISE!! AND NOTHING!!

10.11.07 at 3:01 pm

Sheryl Williams says:
    Interviewer is an A hole — i would have walked out — much respect to Will i am

10.11.07 at 3:04 pm

mete says:
    Out of all the girls he found hot, he couldn’t name not one African American female!!! Damn, that’s messed up!!!

10.11.07 at 3:21 pm

Roni says:
    White girls. He just lost a fan.

10.11.07 at 3:46 pm

Will I Am Likes Short and Natural Girls - Entertainment Talk says:
    [...] [...]

10.11.07 at 4:41 pm

Rumor Sayz! » ~Random Tidbits~ says:
    [...] Will.i.am snaps on King interviewer {King.com} [...]

10.11.07 at 5:16 pm

kia says:
    Damn King! everybody doesn’t have to like Beyonce and wear the same clothes etc………get a life with those lame ass questions yall ask folks!

10.11.07 at 5:52 pm

Miss B says:
    Of course he likes white girls. There’s no other reason why Fergie’s in the group, taking away all of his credibility.

10.11.07 at 5:56 pm

robb says:
    whoever conducted the interview should have respected the artist- point blank period. after that question you can see how Will-I-AM went on the defensive. Fake Wycleff? Wierd Fashion Sense? WTF King- you all just lost a reader- oh i forgot- i dont read that shyt anymore. Lame ass magazine.

10.11.07 at 7:29 pm

chad says:
    will i am is a talented dude. that track he produced for THE GAME called “compton” was hot. he definitely will be in the game for a while. but now i gotta say something to the cat that interviewed him. dude you was acting like an asshole. you are not gonna earn a lot of respect in this business if you don’t show any class. the women that will talked about in the interview are hot..but he could have atleast named 2 or 3 sistas. with him liking those white girls i hope he don’t end up like OJ…LOL!!!! THE CHAD HAS SPOKEN !!!!!

10.11.07 at 7:37 pm

tornado says:
    What do you say to people who call you the fake Wyclef?… We can be rough, at times. Dude, this interviewer sounds like the biggest dick ever. Almost every question had some sort of snide slant on it, I’m not surprised he went off at him. Shoulda slapped him for good measure.

10.11.07 at 11:22 pm

Coffee says:
    The dude from the magazine shoulld get checked by whoever signed his name to that interview first of all the questions where hella disrespectful look at how to anything he said he basically chellenged him on , Every Black Man doesnt think Beyoce is that hot some of them do like it when a female is low to the ground and Im not even hardly offended that he only named non black women his real audience is full of different races of people that are kind of on another level , I think thats why he dressed so what some people consider out there , but he is a artist that loves creativity and makes his music and sort of a melting pot, he shows you throw his dress all of what he loves rather than showing a single style , I applaud anyone who is in love with themselves enough to step out of the fuckin box~I dont care who he lays down with he gave his mom and granny all the RESPECT he needed to give all of us as black women he said you cant top them …. hes talkin bout two black women.

10.12.07 at 12:24 am

Real talk says:
    The interviewer was definitely a bit disrespectful. I’m noticing that this is becoming a issue with the magazine as a whole. Maybe if you asked better questions, you’d get a more interesting/meaningful read out of it. Ya’ll can do better.

10.12.07 at 4:56 am

toddy says:
    The dude conducting the interview was a classic example of a hater!!! I don’t even fuck with will.i.am like that, but i must speak up for the guy…He was being vulnerable and openly candid about stuff that is actually none of our business….Nobody deserves to be disrespected during an interview like the way he was…Daetwon, you need to check your writers before your good name gets tarnished by rat bastards like the cat that conducted that interview……PeAcE, and Love, ToddYtRiLLiOn

10.12.07 at 12:13 pm

T-BONE says:
    Totally disrespectful! The man never said he didnt love his black women, that question was never asked! Get off the color tip, damn! Lastly, i applaud him for his indivualism, why be what everyone else is in the industry. The man is cool and different and thats what i like about him! The interviewer should be FIRED! Period!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dumb ass questions

10.12.07 at 8:39 pm

tiabia says:
    For a person whose newly acquired fan base is made up of adolescent and teenaged white children, he sure was a little loose with those n-bombs!!! Ease up slim!!!

10.13.07 at 8:04 am

Shan says:
    The main and really only issue I have with this column is the conduct of the inerviewer. With this opportunity to sit down with an accomplished artist of this level, this columnist/reporter for King decided to take it away from anything accually stimulating in anyway and ask “simple” and I mean “simple” questions. For someone who should have a college degree of some form, and at least an ounce of common sense, you made a full blown fool of yourself and KING magazine as a whole. If they aren’t concidering firing you or at least limiting your scope as a journalist, they should. Being real is one thing. Just being disrespectful and for no reason, Sad. Its just my opinion though, but, if I were his editor, I would take a look at the rest of the comments left by those who read your magazine.

10.13.07 at 9:57 am

lekool says:
    i don’t necessarily agree w/the way the interviewer conducted his questions. however, i do thk dugue spoke the mind of many limited thinkers and because of that i’ve gained much respect for will.i.am… he sladed that ni33a! (noracism) whaddup will… when u gon’ wrk wit that artist lekule?

10.13.07 at 10:01 am

lekool says:
    will.i.am… killed that.

10.17.07 at 3:01 pm

alexia hodge says:
    he is so ugly. he wishes beyonce will be looking at him. anyway he is not beyonce type. he should be using more energy for people to buy his solo album. he looks dirty all the time. he needs a fashion designer.

10.19.07 at 8:53 am

BAM says:
    right on, Wil. Fuck da masses..da majority of folks are sleep anyways. Thanks for keepin music/hip hop alive. These fools out here now aint doin nuthin but talkin what the last guy was talkin and no one is creative anymore..Big up son-doolah.

10.20.07 at 7:29 pm

Shontif says:
    For his mother and grandmother to be the top 5 women in his life,it seems he dosen’t want a women that’s the same color as them. Will I’m pretty sure about 5 or 10 years from now your music will be more “white” then ever. Back then it was afro-sentric now its pop. Oh and please don’t say the n-word again because you don’t have any “street creds”.

10.22.07 at 12:31 am

ME says:
    Although the interview didn’t ask the most intelligent questions, it was his interview and hehandled it (evidently) the best way he could. For Will.I.Am, he’s definitely an individual. I may not enjoy his music, his fashion sense, or anything else about him, but he is who he is. And for the mention of the women (who, might I add, did have some color) the first 5 are all African-American . . . his grandma, his mom (repeat) . . . he said that no other woman can hold a candle. As far as what he likes in a woman, well, “can’t knock the hustle!!!”

10.25.07 at 4:09 pm

princess says:
    I LIKE THIS INTERVIEW HE KEPT IT REAL AND FUNKY I CANT KNOCK HIM FOR THAT KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DO

10.25.07 at 4:10 pm

KRISSY says:
    YOU GO WILL.I.AM

10.26.07 at 10:48 pm

Blue Magic says:
    RD asking him “wheres the sense in his fashion sense” was basically a shot fired at him. PLayfully or not it was still disrespectfull. Nothing wrong with that, so why are you surprised he called you ronald mcdonald, etc? Didn’t seem that serious, he wasn’t really mad, if he walked out yes then I would say he was mad, but he responded in the same playfully disrespectfull tone that you intially asked that question with. It sounded like jokes man, of course if you went to your homeboy and and asked him why he dressed weird as fuck he would probablly respond in the same way. SO I don’t understand why you would call dude a “asshole”. Shit was jokes, you throw shots you get some thrown back at you. At the end of the day nothing should be taken to heart.

09.3.11 at 1:07 pm

new music hip hop says:
    new music hip hop… [...]» Pea’d Off – KING-mag.com[...]…

Comments