10 Comments     Monday, July 28th, 2008

The Cocaine Cowboy

He might share a surname with your favorite TV dad, but Charles Cosby’s life story is no sitcom.

At 23, Charles Cosby was just another LA drug dealer slinging rock during the inner city crack epidemic of the 1980s. By the time he was 24, Cosby was at the helm of an international cocaine cartel with millions of dollars and thousands of soldiers at his disposal. As the right-hand man and lover of Colombian drug kingpin Griselda “The Godmother” Blanco, Cosby was living his own personal version of Scarface—only his chick was Tony Montana and he was Michelle Pfeffier. His meteoric rise and inevitable fall are the subject of Cocaine Cowboys 2: Hustlin’ with the Godmother, the sequel to the 2002 cult favorite.

When did Griselda Blanco first come to your attention?
    Griselda was arrested in February of 1985 on an old indictment charge in New York City. I happened to be at home watching the news that day and they made her out to be an alleged billionaire who controlled 1500 subordinates. They said that at every sunset her wealth grew by a million dollars. It was amazing to see some shit like that. I never knew such kingpins existed, much less a woman, you know?

After that you immediately became a Stan. Your first contact with Griselda was a fan letter you sent to her prison cell, right?
    I hear the term “fan letter” often, but it wasn’t a fan letter. I reached out to Griselda just to show my respect. I actually received a phone call from the Godmother about three days later. She just wanted to know what my motive was. I explained to her that I just wanted to rub elbows with a legend. So we basically hit it off almost immediately.

Did you start off as a soldier in her cartel or were you immediately a top dog?
    The very first time I met Griselda face to face she agreed to give me 50 kilograms of cocaine as a sign of her sincerity. Of course, the family didn’t like it or agree with it, but she was a person of last resort. Whatever she said went, no if’s, and’s or but’s about it. I would say after the first meeting I was not only in but I was at the very top of the food chain. I became her right-hand man so to speak.

Sounds like American Idol has a tougher audition process. Were you surprised by how quickly you were invited into the inner circle?
    I was more surprised that she was allowing a black man to penetrate her circle, because Colombians, generally, don’t care for black people. It’s not just me saying that—it’s a proven fact.

This entry was posted on Monday, July 28th, 2008 at 10:32 am and is filed under Features. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 Responses to “The Cocaine Cowboy”

07.29.08 at 5:21 am

Caz says:
    Griselda is actually in Bogota, Colombia. She’s a Born Again Christian, believe it or not. She’s still a billionaire, a cash money billionaire.

07.29.08 at 5:43 am

Gee wizz says:
    What can i say, At least your out the game now with a few £££ in you pocket

08.25.08 at 1:02 am

KING Magazine Article: The Cocaine Cowboy | says:
    [...] via KING-mag.com [...]

09.4.08 at 3:12 pm

jojochicago says:
    Deep! I never heard none of this before about the game i guess i was still a kid not paying attentio to national news back in the 80′s. I believe he wasn’t happy with this life. As a black man u only happy when u in control of your own life making things happen. To be a come here boy and do this and that, isn’t in out nature.

09.10.08 at 12:12 am

mrsexxc says:
    Money,power & sex are tools of Satan.People sell their souls every day to obtain worldy treasures…People really think they doing big things,I rather have a soul,trust me !!!

09.12.08 at 10:24 am

KING Magazine Article: The Cocaine Cowboy | The Official Charles Cosby Website says:
    [...] via KING-mag.com [...]

11.13.11 at 11:49 pm

Walgreens Coupons says:
    Walgreens Coupons… [...]» The Cocaine Cowboy – KING-mag.com[...]…

12.6.11 at 8:33 am

bobota colombia vacation rentals says:
    bobota colombia vacation rentals… [...]» The Cocaine Cowboy – KING-mag.com[...]…

09.5.12 at 7:21 am

pernikahan semarang says:
    I just couldn’t go away your website prior to suggesting that I extremely loved the standard info a person supply on your guests? Is going to be again regularly to investigate cross-check new posts

09.7.12 at 2:20 am

Great info, thanks! What you are saying is so true, I will have to bookmark your site to visit in the future :) As a little thnak you note, let me just recommend you this website - russianaccent.net Just in case if you need to learn how to speak with russ says:
    Thank you for some other excellent post. The place else may anybody get that kind of info in such an ideal manner of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I’m at the look for such information.

Comments