109 Comments     Monday, September 29th, 2008

50 Rules To Being A Gentleman

The Gentlemen Panel: Fonzworth Bentley, Pacino Bing, John Delgado, Gerrell Gaddis, Damon Gales, Claveria “JoJo” Gumersindo, Rashaun Hall, Sheldon Hall, Grant Hill, Chris Mathis, Adam Matthews, Zach McCall, Mark Rooney, Jalen Rose, Anslem Samuel, Chiun-Kai Shih, Musiq Soulchild, Jamal Sullivan, Q-Tip, Greg Watkins, Pat Wilcox

50. A warm iron and a can of spray starch can do wonders. Invest in them even if you don’t wear slacks and button-ups regularly.

49. “If you buy one pair of shoes and one suit per year, you’ll have a nice collection soon enough. It’s an investment. Also, know your measurements and sizes, because you might find a woman who wants to hook you up and get a suit made.”—Chris Mathis, 36, barber

48. Wearing a fitted hat on your commute to work with your business suit or with just pants and a dress shirt isn’t a good look.

47. “Tone down the bagginess a bit without wandering into nut-hugger territory. Showing your ass and boxers is not appealing in any setting.”—Anslem Samuel, 31, magazine editor

46. Find a good tailor.

45. T-shirts should fall just below your waist, and the seam of the shoulder should be right on your shoulder.

44. Wear a belt. It’s called underwear for a reason.

43. Don’t try to outdress a woman. She should be the center of attention and should not feel that she’s underdressed.

42. “The world is bigger than your hood and the places your favorite rappers represent. Try to travel to a place where your cell phone won’t work. That’s when you know you’ve actually gone somewhere. If you can’t afford to put your passport on pivot, try reading a book or travel guide about the place you’d like to visit.”—A. Samuel

41. Barnes & Noble should be your best friend.

40. “[As far as books], start with the classics: Catcher in the Rye, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Odyssey, Crime and Punishment.”—Q-Tip, 38, rapper/producer/actor

39. If reading books the size of War & Peace seems daunting, peruse different types of magazines—ones covering art, architecture, design or photography.

38. Try not to go straight to the sports section of the newspaper.

37. Watch the news, preferably more than one channel. Suggestions: BBC, MSNBC, CNN and, yes, even FOX News.

36. Being open-minded and aware of the world around you shows class and sophistication, but avoid seeming pretentious by being modest instead of showing off what you know.

This entry was posted on Monday, September 29th, 2008 at 11:01 am and is filed under Features, KING Magazine. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

109 Responses to “50 Rules To Being A Gentleman”

09.29.08 at 4:49 pm

Jaime says:

09.30.08 at 12:12 am

Jeff says:
    Then she’s got her head on backwards and her life will soon follow. Ignore the meowing kittens and find a cat who purrrrrs.

09.30.08 at 12:17 am

andre says:
    Some of these are good points. Others, such as the tips regarding where to walk in relation to women and “using your body as a barrier to harm”, are a little dated and old-fashioned. Strong women can take care of themselves and do not appreciate being coddled. I’m not saying don’t be cautious, but, seriously, “using your body as a barrier to harm”? That’s ridiculous.

09.30.08 at 12:18 am

Tyler says:
    It’s a good list, that is, until it gets to the advice on one-night-stands. What kind of sasquatch even suggests that a “gentleman” would have one-night-stands? Gentlemen have too much respect for women.

09.30.08 at 12:20 am

Calvin says:
    Jaime, that’s because you don’t know how to talk to women. haha you fail

09.30.08 at 12:25 am

Joey says:
    “Jaime says:
    All ideas I live by but unfortunately get me little when it comes to women. She may respect you more for it but will probably date your friend with the ill fitting jeans and condescending attitude.” and then she will realize he is a douche and you are the better man, no woman who dates someone like that is worth the time.

09.30.08 at 12:26 am

Karl says:
    That 20% thing is true, and I get really, really annoyed when my friends tip below it. But I’m so sick of having arguments with them about it that I just let it go. I’m kind of thankful that I don’t really hang out with those people anymore, It’s really frustrating to have to walk out of a meal feeling ashamed.

09.30.08 at 12:30 am

Kier says:
    These are good tips, so long as you form them adequately for who you’re trying to attract. but generally good tips. Nice article, definitely a bookmark.

09.30.08 at 12:31 am

fark.my says:
    » 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman – KING-mag.com Women will always hang out with you if u r being a gentleman by showing respect

09.30.08 at 12:33 am

Jessie Adams says:
    Can’t agree with rule #15 at all. There is no reason to tip OVER 20% for a meal. If the people serving you are depending upon tips that much to ensure they can live properly, they need a new job.

09.30.08 at 12:48 am

Tom says:
    Jaime, if that is the woman you’re trying to get with, that’s not the woman you need to be with. I’ve lived by nearly all of these rules my whole life, and I’ve been screwed over a time or two. But when the right women comes along and actually understands the respect you give her, things will work out better then you could have dreamed.
    Good luck brother!

09.30.08 at 12:58 am

Trev says:
    I’m guessing King Mag is some sort of rap/ghetto-culture oriented magazine and website? I can’t imagine many other demographics needing to hear this incredibly obvious advice.

09.30.08 at 1:08 am

raliegh it training says:
    Excellent post. I liked the way you pooled others opinions. The only problem is that it’s too logical, and the fairer sex often does not behave in ways that fit the logic of men. All good traits to have in any case.

09.30.08 at 1:14 am

Ben says:
    Welcome to the 1950s. NO thanks.

09.30.08 at 1:16 am

Hustler says:
    These are all important traits and suggestions. When I was a kid my folks used to say “It don’t matter how broke you are, as long as you have class.” Each of these are things that they taught me that I needed to do to fit in and make it. Because of that, I am financially sound and advancing my hustle. To Jaime, I know it sounds dumb, but if you are just trying to hit it, work your hustle and hit it. If you are looking for something or someone you ca hold onto for a while. Then you aren’t looking for the person who is flipped by a pair of tight jeans over substance. That person is a short timer and even if you got in, they are usually so wrapped up in their own ego that they won’t be faithful anyway. Keep Hustling.

09.30.08 at 1:30 am

SomeBloke says:
    @Jamie, Then it’s a better class of woman you’re looking for.

09.30.08 at 1:30 am

Jordan says:
    @Jaime I’m a girl and I hope other men read this: women are attracted to men initially on intuition (no control biological) but we make decisions on aptitude. The hottest a’hole is no comparison to a man with class. Sometimes girls go for the jerks because they have either a natural ability or a learned understanding of what women want. If a girl gloats all over a guy with no game consider yourself lucky she is not interested in you.

09.30.08 at 1:32 am

nabhoth says:
    being agentleman is mainly about behavior not about beig metro

09.30.08 at 1:36 am

Rick says:
    Jamie their’s an art to pickup, it is ok to joke and be social without being condescending and women with self respect will walk when men become condescending and/or dress and act like a fool. If she dates that friend she isn’t someone I would want to be with but then again why is a man whom is condescending to women your friend? Women and men will judge you based on the company you keep.

09.30.08 at 2:16 am

fuck trev says:
    yeah trev because only people in the ghetto need this advice. the 50,000 people at every NASCAR event don’t need any of these tips. stupid fuck.

09.30.08 at 2:40 am

Bo says:
    There is an art to picking up girls –
    - Reasonably charming but not a prick
    - Interested but not overenthusiastic
    - Loving but not obsessive
    - Aloof but not feline
    Allowing her freedom :) Reasonable, self-respecting girls seek men with a kind and not over-bearing nature – fall too much on either side and you’ll risk being labelled as a social hazard or end up on donotedatehim.com…

09.30.08 at 2:54 am

Thom says:
    I was raised in one of the richest “old money” communities in the East Coast and went to private and boarding schools all my life. These are the basics you are either taught or witness through out your life in that circle. None of this says be a bitch though. Know your limits and your goals. If you are working on Wall Street people will give a level of shit and that’s fine, it’s hazing and seeing what your temperment is. Too short a fuse and you’ll never make it on the Floor. But if you let yourself get run over you have no spine. The key is knowing when and how to hold your ground and the best place is principals. No different from the street, don’t snitch, stab your friend in the back or turn on your family or those that have helped you. Say you don’t work like that, you have more honor and walk off. As far as women go, always know the difference between a lay and a date and don’t be afraid to let her know what’s up. You may have to let a bunch of tricks go but so what, there’s always another (I live in LA now so there’s plenty). But if the lady is that, a lady, then treat her like one. I blew my wife away on our first date when I actually pulled her chair out for her and paid for the date. I asked her so of course I was paying and I was interested in her for more than just sex, not that I didn’t want that too. She’s an Animal Wrangler and a Race Car Driver so all the guys she dated before where cowboys and rednecks so she had no experience with a guy who had all his teeth even though she herself was educated and from a professional family, she just was a major tom-girl. Nothing like getting a girl who was notorious for getting into bar fights with guys giggle at you and get shy. And yes, she looks like a girl, no Pete Rose haircut with workboots for her. Life isn’t Black and White, it’s a ton a Grey which isn’t easy but when you get the nuances it can be great. Once people get to know that you are a great person a lot can be forgiven as far as manners but they have to trust you enough to know you are a great person. PS – return calls right away, always say thank you and please, hand write a letter every now and then. And don’t ever be ashamed of letting people know your tastes in culture and music. You’d be suprised how many people of different backgrounds over the age of 30 listen to PE, Run DMC, BDK, Jay-Z, Kayne, Metallica, Fear Factory, The Dead Kennedy’s or watched Shaft, Car Wash, Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, 2001, El Norte or watched Good Times, Sanford and Son and The Brady Bunch. The world is a lot more connected than we think for the better.

09.30.08 at 3:12 am

Thom says:
    @ Jessie Adams – I agree. I worked most of my early life in restaurants, from age 9 until 21 being everything from a dishwasher, busboy, waiter, bartender, bouncer and sous chef (I’m an excellent cook and this is one skill that will get you laid fast with a quality woman). If the service is fine to good then 20% is fine. If it sucks, let them know politely and if they try to fix it then give like 18%. If it’s out right awful tell the Manager and if they still don’t care, stiff ‘em. If it’s outstanding then go nuts. I’ve dropped 35% on a $1500 meal because our staff was insanely great. They even provided a little stool for my wife’s purse so it wouldn’t be on the floor (Daniel in NYC). Crap gets crap, excellence gets excellence. @ fuck trev – I couldn’t agree more. Even black/latino/etc from the ghetto dress better and respect themselves more that the average white trash redneck. I know because I go to NASCAR events AND have spent a ton of time in various ghettos and projects through out the US. I’m white and I’ve been more afraid for my life in certain swamps of Florida than I have in the Soundview Projects in SB or Duncan PJ’s in ill town. To be fair I’ve met some crackers who’ve impressed the hell out of me too. Judging a book by it’s cover is fine as far as survival goes but you aren’t in a war zone then give people 5 minutes or so and you might be surprised.

09.30.08 at 4:24 am

Rama22 says:
    G8 reading i like the part where it reads “Young guys should pump their brakes. Don’t have kids until you’re 30, and look at her family and background to know what you’re getting into.”—

09.30.08 at 4:45 am

Jay says:
    These 50 rules are good information to use.

09.30.08 at 5:46 am

wally says:
    #1: WTF “Don’t have kids until you’re 30″? Since when exactly it has ANYTHING in common with being gentleman?

09.30.08 at 6:34 am

Ike says:
    Most of these are all good points (if a little bit common sense for most people). I would say though that: a) 20% is enough.
    b) Standing up when a woman leaves the table is not just old fashioned, it will make you look a bit earnest. Same goes for insisting on walking on a certain side. You’re going for natural and a relaxed atmosphere, not stuffy and formal. A few dating tips of my own: 1. Turn your phone/blackberry off during dates. Speaking on it during a meal or intimate drinks is just rude, if you have to, go to the bathroom to do it.
    2. Don’t get pretentious over choosing wine and if you don’t have a clue with massive wine lists, don’t be afraid to ask the waiter for a recommendation once you’ve chosen what you’re going to eat. Being able to do so reflects positively on your character, not negatively. Personally I also wave away the formal tasting of the wine for the same reasons as not standing when a woman leaves the table. Too formal, no need. If the wine turns out to be corked (highly unlikely) the restaurant will always replace it.
    3. Ask open questions about her to keep the conversation going. Talk about what you think about something and then ask her her opinion to stimulate discussion and show that you’re interested in what she thinks, With regards to being a gentleman, the golden rule is: understatement. The guys who crave attention, try too hard with their fashion and are the loudest people in the room are usually the fools. The woman attracted to them are not worth attracting.

09.30.08 at 7:36 am

Scott says:
    31. “Take criticism with an open mind. You can improve from listening to superiors and by changing your actions to serve them. Don’t mess with the pack order—it’s there for a reason.”—A. Matthews Only a toff would say that.

09.30.08 at 8:39 am

Krista says:
    Andre, You said that strong women don’t appreciate a man doing things like “biing a protective barrier”. Sure, some women might, but, being quite the independent woman myself, I’ll tell you that you will win with that act more times than you would strike out.
    “Being a protective barrier” isn’t about saying you’re stronger than the gal – it’s about saying that you want to protect her because she is important to you, and that kind of attitude is appreciated by every woman.

09.30.08 at 9:04 am

Otooo says:
    Haha, gotta love #1

09.30.08 at 9:34 am

News Guy says:
    Try to get your news from more than the US and British sources. Sheesh.

09.30.08 at 9:37 am

Katy says:
    #37 is a horrible idea. The media is so biased these days, you’ll never know what to believe. I think if you are a true gentleman, you would find alternative new sources, instead of the media and their scare tactics.

09.30.08 at 10:11 am

Yo MAMA says:
    This list is just fuckin stupid, what the fuck is this shit supposed to have with being a “Gentleman”, damn, what a waste of like 2 minutes of my life butt holes. This is just like the dumbest shit anyone could have come up with, you need to take that “Panel” in the woods and put them out of their misery. Dumbest fuckin list ever!! I could have come up with a better list – Dont fart in public, Dont fart around a chick, Dont fart around her parents, Dont blow your nose in front of her. Shit like that is a billion times better than the crap you mofos came up with. I can honestly say, a retarded monkey with a typewriter would come up with better shit than this.

09.30.08 at 10:22 am

Anton says:
    These are great tips but someone needs to give women a code to live by. I find that more and more women are becoming pushy, self-centered and poorly mannered. While chilverous attitudes will get you further in life, I find that its also paved the way for women to easily take advantage of any and every guy because we’re always putting ‘women first’. I say follow these rules and if you ever feel like you’re being treated like anything less than a man, ditch your company.

09.30.08 at 10:24 am

Pasquale says:
    I remained my dorky self (so not a jerk) and ended up with the most fantastic person I’ve ever known. It’s about respect!

09.30.08 at 10:36 am

PJ says:
    @andre – “Some of these are good points. Others, such as the tips regarding where to walk in relation to women and “using your body as a barrier to harm”, are a little dated and old-fashioned.” True, they may be a bit old fashioned, but it doesn’t mean there isn’t a time and a place for them. I was raised to always walk on the street side of the sidewalk when with a lady. It isn’t _just_ for her protection from a criminal act. If it has been raining and a car goes by and hits a puddle the man is on the street side so that the woman doesn’t have her outfit ruined by a splash of mud and water. The same goes for opening doors (car and well as buildings) and sliding a chair out/in when sitting down. Of course women can do these things themslves, but it is a sign of courtesy and respect when a gentleman does such things.

09.30.08 at 11:18 am

Pooky says:
    That was the stupidest shit I’ve read in a while. I can’t believe anyone gets paid to write this. You guys would be better suited to write an article called 50 Rules to Being an Insincere Pussy.

09.30.08 at 12:12 pm

netbug.net » Blog Archive » 50 Rules to Being a Gentleman says:
    [...] Article posted at: /online/?p=7981 [...]

09.30.08 at 1:34 pm

ebcarroll says:
    I think this is a great list that is old-fashioned, but well timed. A previous post requested a similar list for ladies, and I agree. Unfortunately all etiquette guides for women have to do with party planning and presenting a good meal. I think this list goes both ways for men and women. I agree that many men are forgetting simple manners, but equally woman are losing their ability to be a lady and be thankful for a man that follows these guidelines. Outside of being a barrier :-), paying for meals, treating coworkers with respect, educating yourself, openness about sex and intentions, and having common decency in public are rules for both genders to live by. I say kudos.

09.30.08 at 2:01 pm

» 50 Rules to Being a Gentleman says:
    [...] King-Mag has just post up their feature entitled, “50 Rules to Being a Gentlemen.” The magazine, mostly known for their bikini-clad cover models, finally gets hip to the Gentlemen Movement. I’m glad to because it’s been a long time coming since Fonzworth Bentley got mocked for holding Puffy’s umbrella. Bentley, Andre Benjamin, and everyone else who held self-improvement to a high regard, are all responsible for ushering in this wave of chivalry. Is it a shame that King-Mag, a magazine that saw it fit to feature Karrine Steffans a.k.a. Superhead in its past pages, has decided to give gentlemen some shine only AFTER Neyo decided it was the Year of the Gentlemen? No, not entirely. It always helps to review the rules of gentlemenship, even if it’s from a semi-misogynistic publication. Don’t judge a magazine by its cover. This cover just happens to highly resemble Playboy. [...]

09.30.08 at 2:07 pm

anonymous says:
    Are American males really so shallow that a list primarily composed of common sense and mild sexism is getting such heavy traffic? … “Go easy on the slang, especially among those who are already judging you based on race and age.” That couldn’t have been any more pointed at certain minorities, now could it? I commend the Gentlemen Panel for being entirely comprised of doucherockets.

09.30.08 at 2:11 pm

SearchRoads » sailor moon hentia 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman says:
    [...] sailor moon hentia If you want to wow corporate suits and A-list women (and you should), step up your lifestyle with these 50 foolproof rules. adult sailor moonread more | digg story [...]

09.30.08 at 2:25 pm

50 Rules To Being A Gentleman | News Inventory says:
    [...] source [...]

09.30.08 at 3:00 pm

PhiLLy in DaLLaS says:
    All good points and I was actually surprised I adhered to about 90% of them. To the guy that said it doesn’t help getting a girl…You don’t pick-up women by being a gentlemen, you KEEP em.

09.30.08 at 3:09 pm

50 Rules To Being A Gentleman says:
    [...] See the List [...]

09.30.08 at 3:38 pm

Trillianne says:
    I am a woman. To the comments about the barrier and standing up being outdated… yes, its old fashioned, and if you are out with a real lady (not just any woman) they appreciate that. The object is to do it without being obvious as in “oh wait.. I must walk on the other side of you.” or continually running around her. If the opportunity is there to do it, then do it, but if she absolutely wants to walk on the other side of you… don’t push it. There are also guys asking if women have these lists too… sure, but just as gentlemen are rare gems, ladies are rare gems too. Its mostly having courtesy that matters regardless of which gender you are. Hold the door open for the person behind you; Use “Please”, “Thank you” and “You’re Welcome”; Look at people when they talk to you, etc.

09.30.08 at 3:53 pm

RealWoman says:
    PLEASE pull up your pants and wear a belt. These fools who wear pants so low they can’t walk without tripping must be virgins. Exposed boxers are ugly, and instantly lower your visible IQ several points. Shirts as large as dresses only make you look like you don’t know how to dress yourself. AND they hide what might be a really nice butt.

09.30.08 at 5:01 pm

buzzdup.com says:
    50 Rules To Being A Gentleman For dudes who split bills on fast-food dates, KING offers a template for sophistication. Relax and take notes.

09.30.08 at 5:47 pm

David says:
    In the same spirit as #13:
    Lead a woman going down the stairs, follow going up. If she slips you’re in a position to protect her from a dangerous tumble.

09.30.08 at 5:55 pm

David says:
    Andre,
    There’s nothing old-fashioned or ridiculous about protecting the people you care about. Don’t force a woman to walk where it’s safer and don’t broadcast the reason for your choice of position. There is class in quiet caution.

09.30.08 at 5:56 pm

Christian says:
    these are good what are you talking about, its mainly showing respect, sure a few are stupid about being so sophisticated and mature, i’m sure some want that but there’s not problem in a little sillyness here and there.

09.30.08 at 6:41 pm

Tyler says:
    @Yo MAMA & Pooky There’s a line called Common Sense. The things you mentioned are below that line, and the things on this list are above it. Those who are civilized and intelligent figure out everything below that line by the time they’re in high school, and strive to achieve what’s above from there on out. I guess you are still nestled in your crib with your pants hanging low and your grill in your mouth. Am I close?

09.30.08 at 7:06 pm

Rohan says:
    Women r of diff types and just like men they have different needs at diff times. So what if she was looking for a ill fitting jeans guy…probably thats what she wanted then.What matters is what class of woman r u looking for?If she’s wot you looking for then this is crap else realise what you really want:). Very informative and classy…Hope you all realized it wasn’t just about women!!!

09.30.08 at 7:08 pm

Kevin says:
    This list is absurd! Hello, it’s 2008! I’ve dated many women and I’m now married to a beautiful, respectable lawyer, and I can tell you that none of this materialistic crap is worthwhile. Just be a good person and good things will follow.

09.30.08 at 8:31 pm

More boring stuff from the Net :|»Boringest :| - Moolah!!! says:
    [...] » 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman – KING-mag.com 3. Never forget to introduce your woman as your girlfriend, spouse or otherwise to people when you’re out at functions together. [...]

09.30.08 at 9:06 pm

Paul says:
    This article is a load of rubbish. Here’s a tip, go get a life, then try and write about how wimps can become men.

09.30.08 at 9:46 pm

Squeedle says:
    @Kevin: I don’t agree; I’m female, professional and white and the list isn’t “absurd.” To some people this may seem obvious, but you wouldn’t believe how many people I know who don’t even have basic manners. They are generally thoughtless – not because they’re jerks, but because they weren’t taught any better. As for the “keep yourself between her and the curb” advice, I have a black belt, but it’s not like it shows on my face. It doesn’t stop some guy from picking a target because she’s female and thinks she’s weak. Nothing stops a confrontation earlier than a big, confident guy, sorry, I don’t care what year it is. So, I don’t *need* protection – but that doesn’t mean I don’t want any. A guy who acts like he won’t protect me, doesn’t care if I get hurt, or doesn’t offer help without being asked, the message I take from that is, “hey, if you need me, too bad, you’re on your own, independent girl!” I want a guy who wants to help and protect me even knowing I don’t need it. I’m not asking any more of him than I would do for him; we’re in it together, after all. So, a guy who opens doors for me, who pulls out my chair (and who doesn’t quit doing it after the first damn date), that says to me that he’s thinking about somebody besides himself. It gets points with me. Here’s another tip: A guy who can cook and keeps his place clean (even if you pay someone), that right there says he knows how to take care of himself and his place – he’s not in search of a woman to be his momma.

09.30.08 at 11:04 pm

Cartoons Plugin » Blog Archive » batman and batgirl costume 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman says:
    [...] batman and batgirl costume If you want to wow corporate suits and A-list women (and you should), step up your lifestyle with these 50 foolproof rules. batman beyond cosplayread more | digg story [...]

10.1.08 at 12:41 am

[root@EGA]# » Blog Archive » links - 20080930 says:
    [...] How to Avoid Common Resume Mistakes – wikiHow Visual Studio 2010 to come with airline like ‘black box’ What Most People in the World Care About Most.. [COMIC] ‘If I don’t photograph this, people like my mom will think war is what they see on TV’ ~ Kenneth Jarecke, Photojournalist *forehead slap* THIS is how we can solve the crisis! Why didn’t anyone else think of it? [COMIC] Firefox 3: 8 Things You Didn’t Know You Could Do – Solutions by PC Magazine How to get into the Hottest Restaurants in Town Fannie, Freddie disclose subpoenas, investigations (AP) Please Tip [photo] Liquid What Happens to Your Mortgage if Your Bank Fails? A tally of Federal Rescues Nasty web bug descends on world’s most popular sites Performance America Could Buy Every Single US House In Foreclosure For $700 Billion – Common Sense Reasons Why The Bailout Is A Scam and Caused By Lenders 2002 dilbert strangely relevant The Dark Bailout [VID] » 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman – KING-mag.com 10 links to walk you through today’s financial crisis — and make you smarter than 99% of other people | I Will Teach You To Be Rich 6 PCs, 1 Case – Custom Wall Mounted Renderfarm w/[PICS] Beware of The Orbs! Never has a ball seemed so scary…RUN!! How To Become An Open-Source Contractor smush it! The Giant Pool of Money, This American Life on How the Subprime Crisis Happened DSCP and TOS reference Asterisk QOS/COS/TOS reference Google Stock Falls $200 As Market Closes (But Not Really) [...]

10.1.08 at 12:58 am

iPhone Software » Blog Archive » 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman says:
    [...] Written by KING Magazine [...]

10.1.08 at 2:01 am

Prime News Blog » Blog Archive » xmen last stand ending 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman says:
    [...] xmen last stand ending If you want to wow corporate suits and A-list women (and you should), step up your lifestyle with these 50 foolproof rules. xmen jean greyread more | digg story [...]

10.1.08 at 3:46 am

Tess says:
    Being a girl, I have to agree with most of the things here.

10.1.08 at 5:15 am

Web 2.0 Announcer says:
    » 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman – KING-mag.com [...][...]

10.1.08 at 6:18 am

Anna says:
    “If you want her to be your devil, treat her like an angel.”—Gerrell Gaddis, 32, songwriter
    that is soo true, great guidelines for any guy, should be taught in school.
    No need to take this as a rule boook, more like guidelines :)

10.1.08 at 7:22 am

Urlor says:
    I’m 31 and getting married in 2 months with woman I adore. We’re together for 9 months and we marry because of love (she’s not pregnant, yet). I had sex with 61 woman and cheated in every relationship I’ve been into until I found her because none of that 61 was good enough for me. Now I know I’ll newer cheat this one because she Is all I was looking for- my missing puzzle and I know that’s it. There are loads of woman to go to bed with, but only one to go to life with.

10.1.08 at 8:37 am

Jenn says:
    okay being a girl myself I almost completely agree with these rules.Women do have a tendency to lean towards the asswipes but we learn our lesson very quickly, just as men do with flawless looking women. I would much rather spend my time with a nice guy who has wholesome values and respects me for who I am than an asshole with a nice car and a lineup. Ive dated the jerks and ive dated the gentleman. These rules are a bit extreame but i have one rule that covers almost all of them. -If its something your friends would call you a fag for there is a 99% chance a woman would find it genuine and attractive.- Women love simple things. simple compliments, gestures of how you care for her, affection, and just things that let her know shes on your mind and one of your priorities. :)

10.1.08 at 8:47 am

Jenn says:
    (Adjustment to the comment i made prior to this.!) when i said something your friends may call you a fag for: 1: i meant that in no offense to gay guys.. just they are more caring and aware of womens feelings. 2: I did not mean call a women up crying because you miss her and cling to her as if she was on the verge of suicide. Be a man about it but keep it classy and comforting. Most women dont expect you to go watch them get their hair done but when they come home or you see them next a nice compliment will insure a good night for the both of you. Like i said boys its all about the small stuff, the small stuff most men tend to forget. AND for the record.. its sometimes nice to be doted upon like women of the 50′s. I dont NEED a man to protect me or lift things or help me.. but sometimes its nice for a guy to man the heck up and offer.

10.1.08 at 11:02 am

Pj says:
    Christ 50 rules to being a gentleman! What a load of monkey custard!! If you stuck to all 50 rules like glue, you’d be considered a carpet! If you missed 1 out you’d be a misogynist pig, who made the rules? Yep you guessed it, half the time there off their tits, the other half only slightly less obviously on the verge of being a haggard harridan bunny boiler…. Christ all 6 ex wives were totally tonto…. As I said I’m not a misogynist, it’s just that they think they come from the planet Venus, when infact they come from Uranus! Arf arf, get back in the bloody kitchen and stay away from the sharps you BSE!

10.1.08 at 1:12 pm

Mera says:
    The list is a great way to start, and a man should always be a gentleman. But putting on an act of a gentleman is just another trick to catch a woman then all the things on the list are meaningless. As for Andre…you don’t walk on the outside to put yourself in harms way…b/c most woman, like myself, can take care of themselves as well as you, but it shows that you have a higher regard for her then just an avg ho. And Jaime if you are truly a gentleman you need not worry about the woman who passes by without noticing your charms. She is not worth your time or energy. A woman the can not accept respect from a man does not respect herself. One last thing, having manners and respect for ALL, does not mean being a carpet or a pussy. It shows a man knows who he is and is comfortable in his own skin. Hence, no need to care or prove to others that he is one.

10.1.08 at 5:17 pm

Kevin says:
    @Squeedle I’m not saying that I don’t want to protect my woman, or that I’m not thoughtful. I’m very thoughtful, but there’s no place for traditional “gentleman” manners in the modern world. It’s a step backwards. Women are now equal to men. Maybe I want my wife to protect me or open a door for me. Maybe I want HER to be well read. I’m just saying, the days of strong men taking care of their housewives is over.

10.1.08 at 11:44 pm

heh says:
    +1 for attempting to civilize, SAVAGE NEGRO BEASTS.

10.2.08 at 7:51 am

Jenn says:
    Okay i agree with kevin to an extent. yeah its so over! but also being a guy its kind of expected of you.. just like its expected that women be girly and and dont burp and fart and shit. Its like human code..men have to be the bigger person, if they wernt things would just get awkward you know?

10.2.08 at 1:41 pm

Lianne says:
    A lot of these are condescending as hell toward the woman, and mostly make the guy look like a stuck-up ass. If you really want to be a gentleman, it means being who YOU are and respecting who others are. You don’t have to live up to some supposedly gentlemanly image! And what the hell is that bit about “not pulling a condom out” on the first night?? I’d appreciate the condom, even if it did mean the whole thing was premeditated — there is NO excuse for not attending to your partner’s safety. What kind of gentleman wouldn’t?!

10.3.08 at 3:10 pm

Qlog » Quatsch mit Soße (3.10.08) says:
    [...] 50 Regeln für Gentlemen Share and Enjoy: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages. [...]

10.4.08 at 2:55 am

Duh! says:
    I jus wanna say that is a pretty good list real men who want real women would be the ones living by the rules. & if the girl goes for the idiot with the low jeans and stupid attitude she ain’t worth it. I wish more people could see this list because it is a serious eye opener

10.4.08 at 11:06 am

Gorilla says:
    @ Yo MAMA – If a retarded monkey with a typewriter can compose a better list than the one above, then I guess a Chimpanzee with a brain size equivalent to a penny in your wallet can construct a better statement than the one you typed out. Except that it’ll contain lots of ‘FucalalaboomboomchikachikaWOW!’ Have a nice day.

10.4.08 at 1:52 pm

Weekend Reading: Real World Edition at kylelibra.com says:
    [...] 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman [...]

10.5.08 at 3:07 am

Best Weekend Reading From Around the Web 10/04 says:
    [...] Here are 50 rules to being a gentleman. [...]

10.6.08 at 6:09 am

Sam says:
    Tyler, I just have to say that might have been the tooliest thing ever said. Having one-night stands doesn’t make you disrespectful of women. In 99% of cases, the woman involved has the same intentions you do. As long as you keep it respectful (and safe), there’s nothing un-gentlemanly about it.

10.7.08 at 9:49 pm

50 Rules To Being A Gentleman « Santiago Cavanna - Argentina says:
    [...] 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman Publicado el Octubre 8, 2008 por Santiago Cavanna » 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman – KING-mag.com 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman [...]

10.9.08 at 12:25 pm

nks says:
    its nice piece of collection put under the heading… to be gentle

10.17.08 at 9:14 am

OXY says:
    Great!! Now create 50 rules for the ladies

10.25.08 at 1:17 pm

Frank Dank says:
    I think bein a gentleman is a state of mind but every hoochie doesnt know what to do with one

12.20.08 at 2:13 am

Ex.f - Weekend round-up says:
    [...] Some style tips for the men: 50 rules to being a gentleman. Guys, most women don’t ask for all that much. Just hitting a couple of these notes would be great. [...]

01.20.09 at 7:13 pm

arthur coley says:
    some of this is cool!

01.21.09 at 4:23 am

PRIVATE » Blog Archive » 2009 : THE YEAR OF THE GENTLEMAN says:
    [...] – 50 Rules to Being a Gentleman – The Black Tie Guide – The Gentleman’s Page – The opposite gentleman : How to be a complete douchebag – Amazon.com : “What to Wear, When to Wear it, How to Wear it” (Hardcover) – Amazon.com : “As a gentleman would say” (Hardcover) 21 / 01 / Books, Recommendations [...]

01.29.09 at 12:20 pm

Your Last Resort is Here | Gentleman & a Ruler says:
    [...] On delicious, the first link one gets is “50 Rules To Being A Gentleman – KING-mag.com.” If you read the 50 rules, and are anything close to a gentleman, you’ll rename the list in your head to something like “How to not be a complete douche-bag.” Just have a gander when you get a chance and you’ll see things like, “don’t forget to iron your shirt” or (number one) “Don’t have kids until you’re 30.” I didn’t know age requirement for a reproductive male was a descriptive point in being a gentleman. [...]

02.4.09 at 6:38 pm

the Sublime Blog » 50 Rules to Being a Gentleman says:
    [...] Read the rest of the rules at King-Magazine. [Source] Tagged: 50 rules, gentleman, grown man, rules to being a gentleman [...]

02.18.09 at 11:20 pm

Nokware Knight says:
    Being a gentleman is about sincere character and ability to work with the world around you and not against it. It is not about giving up your individual tastes, style, interests, or preferences to fit a stereotypical mold, which this article would lead you to believe. Being a gentleman in not about your career, how much money you spend, It’s not about how many books you read at Barnes and Noble. It’s not even about what you chose to watch or read. A lot of gentleman get their education from real world experience. Having said that, the only ones that make sense are 42, 36, 33, 32, 31, 30, 29, 28, 16, 14, 8, and 4.

03.14.09 at 4:40 pm

Nikhil Bhavsar says:
    To all those who disagree: The word here is gentleman. Gentle Man. Be a man. Be strong. Be quiet. Be calm. Pamper your women. They are to be treasured. A woman will always (well, almost always) guide you in the right direction. Don’t be a wussy/fool/loudmouth/jerk. Be a man.
    A Gentle Man.

05.29.10 at 9:43 pm

Donnie Duffy says:
    Really awesome writing! Honest..

05.30.10 at 5:47 am

Stella Rushing says:
    Hehe am I actually the first reply to your great post.

05.30.10 at 1:52 pm

Lowell Morales says:
    If only more than 35 people could read this!

06.1.10 at 10:09 am

Effie Mcgovern says:
    If only more than 94 people could hear about this..

08.23.11 at 2:26 am

Being a Gentleman 101 | The American Gentleman Magazine says:
    [...] Written by KING Magazine [...]

09.10.11 at 11:35 am

Childrens Sleeping Bags says:
    Double Sleeping Bag … » 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman – KING-mag.com…

10.29.11 at 3:14 am

guy harvey shirts says:
    guy harvey shirts… [...]» 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman – KING-mag.com[...]…

11.12.11 at 9:37 pm

polaris atv parts says:
    polaris atv parts… [...]» 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman – KING-mag.com[...]…

11.22.11 at 5:30 pm

Ehitusprojekt says:
    Ehitusprojekt… [...]» 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman – KING-mag.com[...]…

11.22.11 at 5:39 pm

Geodeesia says:
    Geodeesia… [...]» 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman – KING-mag.com[...]…

12.2.11 at 12:11 pm

hair fall treatments says:
    hair fall treatments… [...]» 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman – KING-mag.com[...]…

12.9.11 at 1:55 pm

self improvement says:
    self improvement… [...]» 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman – KING-mag.com[...]…

12.25.11 at 9:09 am

Эллэ Аят - жизнь без лекарств и болезней says:
    Эллэ Аят – жизнь без лекарств и болезней… [...]» 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman – KING-mag.com[...]…

01.10.12 at 6:42 am

magnetic mindset review says:
    magnetic mindset review… [...]» 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman – KING-mag.com[...]…

01.10.12 at 8:04 am

massage your date review says:
    massage your date review… [...]» 50 Rules To Being A Gentleman – KING-mag.com[...]…

02.17.12 at 12:23 pm

Marilia says:
    Do you realy want to be a gentleman? Then please, NEVER treat older women as if they were your mother! There’s only one (well, maybe two) woman you should treat like your mother, and you know well who she is. Treat ALL women like women, that’s it. Treat an 80 y.o. lady like young sexy woman she once was and still is inside. Ler her percieve that tha’s what you see when you look at her. Cheer up her heart. That’s chivalry.

04.17.12 at 12:42 am

T says:
    There are a few good ideas on here but so many of these set the bar embarrassingly low. Expect better of yourself everyday and someday you will be.

Comments