8 Comments     Monday, November 10th, 2008

My Country Tis Of Thee

My salute to the Veterans

As we embark on a new journey with a new President, I wanted to dedicate this blog to the men and women who fought for this country. I don’t believe there is one person in this country who isn’t related to or doesn’t know a veteran. My father was a veteran of the Vietnam War and my grandfather fought in World War II. While both of them were fighting for the country another war was going on in America, the Civil Rights movement. We all should honor the veterans of the major wars, but I also want to honor those veterans who also did battle right here in America. They shed blood, sweat and tears for everyone to have the inalienable rights that were promised in the Declaration of Independence, after the Revolutionary War. The soldiers of the Civil Rights movement carried a great burden, because of this burden they carried, it cleared the way for the first African-American President to be elected.

The veterans of all the major wars have had a major impact on society. For someone to be put in harms way for others to have freedom is amazing and beyond honorable. Say what you will about John McCain, but he made the ultimate sacrifice for the country and I applaud that. Don’t let politics get in the way of honoring a veteran, not just on Veteran’s Day, but everyday. A quick history lesson, Veteran’s Day is on November 11th because that’s when the Armistice was signed to end World War I on the 11th hour, 11th day and 11th month, so that date will never change. If you see someone in uniform take a moment and stop to say thank you, I’m pretty sure it will put a smile on their face. God Bless the U.S.A.

Veteran’s Day Tribute
    When America had an urgent need,
    These brave ones raised a hand;
    No hesitation held them back;
    They were proud to take a stand.
    They left their friends and family;
    They gave up normal life;
    To serve their country and their God,
    They plowed into the strife.
    They fought for freedom and for peace
    On strange and foreign shores;
    Some lost new friends; some lost their lives
    In long and brutal wars.
    Other veterans answered a call
    To support the ones who fought;
    Their country had requirements for
    The essential skills they brought.
    We salute each and every one of them,
    The noble and the brave,
    The ones still with us here today,
    And those who rest in a grave.
    So here’s to our country’s heroes;
    They’re a cut above the rest;
    Let’s give the honor that is due
    To our country’s very best.

By Joanna Fuchs

“We didn’t all come over on the same ship, but we’re all in the same boat”. ~ Bernard M. Baruch

Special thanks to JM Graphics for the photo!

This entry was posted on Monday, November 10th, 2008 at 5:13 pm and is filed under Columnists, Robbins Nest. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

8 Responses to “My Country Tis Of Thee”

11.11.08 at 1:16 pm

Rasand says:
    Hey Lizz, as a Veteran, I thank you for this tribute to All Veterans of the many wars that we have All fought in one way or another. And thank you to All the Veterans who came before me for all that you have done and continue to do for our country and this Great Nation!!

11.11.08 at 6:31 pm

Aishah says:
    That was so deep! I like how you tied the wars of other lands, to the war here at home. My sister has been overseas for two years in the Army. A big THANKS from my family. The sacrifice is a large one, however, necessary. Thanks for the recognition of vets:) BTW, thats a killer dress! Beautiful, as always. LYLS

11.11.08 at 8:34 pm

David says:
    Lizz, ” No One Prays for Peace more than a Soldier, because it is he who has make the Ultimate Sacrafice.” In my 22 years of service in the U.S. Army, I have lived by this credo, daily. From Operation Desert Storm, Joint Forge, Iraqi Freedom, Katrina and Beyond, Dedicated Men and Women have stood ready to defend, Successfully, the Constitution and Laws of the United States against all enemies both Foreign and Domestic, during my 22 years tenure. I would venture to guess that, that Legacy will continue to Endure, as it has before me, and as it will after I’m gone. I say that to say this, ” Every Veteran that you see, that has fought and survived a continguency or other operation, has paid the Ultimate Sacrafice,” and Loves This Country Tis of Thee. Good Luck in your future endeavors, And, Godspeed. David.

11.12.08 at 12:24 pm

lookin4dlight says:
    Hi Lizz, well said by all, writers and comments,I would like to add my thanks, and ask all who pray to pray for our men women who stand on the wall world wide.

11.14.08 at 12:31 pm

DMVhustlers.com says:
    DMV Stand up! Great post. Many fought hard for our freedom and they deserve more than 1 day dedicated to them!

11.18.08 at 2:41 pm

Angles says:
    Yes a whole lot of people put it on the line for our freedom to walk around without fear of an attack while going to work,the store and other everyday travels that sometimes we take for granted. I have uncles and cousins that have served there duty. We should thank our troops by helping them with programs that helps get their minds trained to go back to society and help them also get job placement after they go through the proper programs to help detoxt some of the things the have seen and done. Helping them get back on the grind of everyday life back in society, a place to stay and money would start and I mean start to show a little thanks for the tour or tours our troops have been through. THANKS TO ALL THE MEN & WOMEN WHO HAVE SERVE THE COUNTRY PAST AND PRESENT

11.18.08 at 2:44 pm